Digital Forensic Analyst - How do I get there?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by dood, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Ive been looking into doing something similar myself and have specifically been looking at this University course with Northumberland University - well if I could do it distance learning

Shame the OU dont do this type of course at undergrad level:(

http://www.northumbria.ac.uk/?view=CourseDetail&code=UUSETH1&page=modules

The course is actually Ethical Hacking for Computer Security BSc (Hons)

Nicely done by the university they list all the modules for each year, what they involve and even their reading lists which it hink is awesome. Might be worth having a read through and seeing what you can get to grips with before commiting to anything:)

Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  2. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

I believe they are starting to do more in house to cut costs now.

I have just completed a masters in computer forensics and there aren't many jobs out there at the moment. Looks like i'll be back working in support to pay for more specific courses/training like encase.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Nope. That's lab/school/research experience.

Well, they're twisting terminology a bit. An entry-level security job is typically a job that an experienced network admin gets when they want to advance into the field of IT security... NOT a job that someone gets with no previous real-world IT experience. So, no, it's not an "entry-level IT job".

It doesn't sound as if they understand how real-world IT works. But they certainly understand how to sell their system!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!