Different ways of getting your training in the commute

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Arroryn, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Or any other time you're stuck with not much else to do :)

Thought peeps could volunteer how they do their studying on the move, so that maybe an idea shared is an idea learned :)

I only thought of this as I have finally lurched into the next century and got myself an iPhone, and was pleasantly surprised to see in the iTunes app store, the full MCTS book for 70-680 for only £3.95. I'm not a general fan of ebooks, but it's easy to navigate through the book so I can review chapters during lunch and when I'm in the car with the other half driving.

Also, for those of you that like to use Mind Maps, there's a free Tony Buzan-endorsed mind mapping app which works quite neatly.

I already subscribe to basic podcasts and videocasts such as a few Technet ones and IT Idiots. Any other ideas? Any other apps / tools people use that could be of handy to others?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I have been trying a few things from Preplogic during their sales.

Preplogic do audio lectures which are audio versions of the mega guides. I am using one at the moment, they like cram guides so dont cover everything. Okay but dry.

Preplogic Quiz me series are audio practise questions, i haven't used these. I think these could be useful.

Preplogic pocket guides - I am totally unimpressed with these, only a few pounds, but aren't very good in my opinion.

Someone suggested saving the audio from your CBTnugget videos to ipod/iphone. I don't see any issue with this if you own them and keep it to personal use.

I used to use flash cards, however, i wasted more time making them. I could have just reread the books several times over in the end.

end of the day yet to find the perfect training tool that isn't a book

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
    Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I'm a big fan of iTunesU on the ipod/iphone.

I've been following a Stanford course of lectures on programming...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD