different IP Range

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by Mr.Cheeks, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

recently installed win2k on a lappie.

it connects via D-link Air card, it picks up an ip address of 169.254.195.2, which is totally different. norm is 192.168.254.x
    the subnet mask is 255.255.0.0 and should be 255.255.255.0.

under tcp/ip properties, its set to obtain ip address and dns automatically.

normally in XP, you right click the wireless and view wireless networks and bang in the details, but in this case, it's a no go...

i really dont know where i am going here, dont even know what info is required, hell, the only thing i know is that, there is a connection (to AP) but not to my network (prob cuz diff subnet?)

anyway, help please

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

169.254 is an APIPA address. It gets used automaticaly when Windows can't find the DHCP server.

So your having one here means that the WiFi isn't actualy connecting!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Mr.Cheeks

Thats what i originally thought, hoiwever, the box says, wireless connected 11mbs, and when i run the dlink client the link quality and signal strenght is good!

i need to finish this A+ off and start onto networking bigtime...

i'll upload a pic in a few,

4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

cheeks like harry said its an APIPA address which means the DHCP server on your wireless router (assuming it has one - and most today do) is disabled... now the default address unless its been changed for routers is usually 192.168.1.1 open a browser and see if that works.. then check to see the DHCP server is running

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. Mr.Cheeks

but shouldn't that mean that no wireless devices i.e. lappies, pda's have the same problem? if so, then my friends lappie could connect (XP), my pda can connect to...

btw: for some reason im not able to connect to it (get timed out error) even when i use my bookmarked link to it, which is http://192.168.1.50/.

edit: i cant test it now, have no other wireless devices

6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

other wireless devices are using the same router and getting connected?

7. Mr.Cheeks

i cant test it now, have no other wireless devices, but yes they were.

8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

cheeks from what you said router is on 192.168.1.50
    and
    from my little networking knowledge thats wrong... isnt the router and the rest of the devices supposed to be on the same subnet? another thing is you may exceeded the range in the DHCP Server.. it may have run out of IP addresses and since it cant dish out anymore the laptop will now get a APIPA address.. can you access the router

9. Mr.Cheeks

never noticed that! cheers, now i can connect! never realised it would change the address for the routers :biggrin

[​IMG]

from the wireless router, i have dhcp disabled but thats local (its done by my modem) and under wireless, there is no setting for DHCP. Its a Wireless-B Broadband Router BEFW11S4, quite old.

On my normal modem, where DHCP is enabled, the last ip is 192.168.254.234 so i have (if im correct) another 16? cuz i think iit starts again at 192.168.254.250??? :blink

when i connect the ethernet cable in, its all ok...

10. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

cheeks im going to be honest from the wireless networks i seen there is DHCP in the wireless router. So here is the summary... if your router has no DHCP option then looks like you will need to assign static IP's on the wireless. But if there is a DHCP server option in the router and its still not dishing out IP's either the range of IP's specificed has run out or the DHCP server could be disabled...

and it doesnt mean you have 16 left... the range you specific could have been 192.168.254.230 to 192.168.254.240 which means you only got 6 left...

also you mention "normal modem" cheeks what you trying to do mate? :)

11. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

As Zimbo said, if you give the laptop a static I.P (that is not being used) in the correct subnet then that will eliminate any problems with DHCP. If you still can’t connect then it may be an authentication issues with the WAP\authentication.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  12. Mr.Cheeks

i'll have a proper look at the setting on the wireless router, given what you said, there must be an option, as i have never assigned static ip address...

soz when i meant normal modem, i meant modem... that has dhcp enabled...

Code:

enabled

win2k

Jan 20 2007 21:43:18 

looks like the modem has picked it up...

13. Mr.Cheeks

i assigned the static ip address, gave the subnet mask in, and gateway, and nothing!... still no net / network :dry

i think it may be down to the wireless configuration on the laptop, what client should one use?

14. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

if connect it direct to the modem you all good? the minute you use wireless you not? try what sparky said.. check your authentication settings... is the SID correct?

15. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Cheeks, Is your setup like this:

Web -> ADSL Modem -> Router -> PCs.

If so, I think only the router will be getting a address from the ADSL Modem and the Router needs to have DHCP enabled to farm out addresses to the PCs (at least that's how my set up works).

If I understand this right, your router has a DHCP option but you've disabled it. If that's right, enable it as it will be for wired and wireless clients (it is on every other wi-fi router I've seen anyway).

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  16. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

If you want to browse the Internet or check emails always think *DNS* - DNS is used by your computers to find the IP address of web servers and mail servers. With no DNS specified, you will not be able to browse the net regardless of how much hair you keep pulling out :p

Plug your lappy in with a cable and let it pick up an IP address. Do an IPCONFIG /ALL and make a note of..

IP address
    Subnet mask
    Default gateway
    AND preferred *DNS server*

Then unhook the cable, disable that connection, go into your wireless config and put *all* the details in that you got from the above.

Next step - say a little prayer and tap your heals together three times.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  17. Mr.Cheeks

sorted...

i reinstalled intel pro wireless thing, ran win updates and seemed to fix it...