Different idea...

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Balian, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Balian

Balian Bit Poster

Hey peeps,

I was thinking (a first I know!), both my folks are teachers, it runs in the family. My aunts, uncles, they're all teachers. I'm quite interested in teaching IT, say, at primary school level. I'm male, with an IT background, certainly at that level, my arm shouldbe snapped off. Starter salary of £20K ish, 13 weeks holiday per year, and doing something rewarding. I combine a love of IT, with teaching. Obviously there are drawbacks, show me a situ where there aren't, but as an idea, whaddya reckon shipmates?

:berrr

Certifications: HND IT, A+
    WIP: MCP 2003 Server, XP Professional
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

To teach in a primary school you can't just teach IT, you have to teach across all 11 National Curriculum subjects. You could however become the IT coordinator for the school, but that would only be after a few years, and it tends to be focused on the curriculum side of things, not the techy side.

If you want to focus soley on IT then you would need to be teaching at secondary level.

8)

3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Balian,

To be honest I think that teaching IT would be a fun, interesting occupation. I would want to do it in a situation where it's a subject that is an optional optional course where the only people who would normally take the classes are those who are really interested in the subject though.

I wouldn't want to be in a situation where I had a bunch of students who hate the subject and are simply taking the class because they have to. That always leads to behavioral issues in the classroom and in today's educational environment I wouldn't last long because I wouldn't put up with disruptions.

Teaching is fun. It's a real pleasure to see the lights come on when people grasp a concept. It's fun and rewarding finding ways to explain concepts so people can understand them. If you like teaching, I say find a way to do it. I seriously considered it, but at my age the educational requirements mean I would have to be in school for far too long. If I had been 10 or 15 years younger I would have gone into teaching.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

And that would bring with it severe mental breakdowns.

Trust me. I went to a school where everyone felt priveleged to get in - you had to pass an exam - and we still sent teachers round the twist.

At the other end of the spectrum, there's a school in my district that has chains along the desks in the IT room so students don't steal computers. And I think they found a cunning way of making sure kids couldn't open the cases and steal drives too :eek: (at least they were getting practical experience before)

aaaanyway - back to topic - how about at a College? Mature students are more likely to be less rowdy...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. Balian

Balian Bit Poster

Agreed. I was wondering though, if you had a good background with IT, it wouldn't harm. Couldn't/wouldn't do secondary, my patience for snotnosed 16-17 year olds would be thin.... :biggrin

6. Balian

Balian Bit Poster

Adult education is another option. I'm simply considering ideas to combine both teaching and IT for now. :kar

7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

All I can say is try.

I work in IT in the day, and 2 evenings a week I'm a part-time lecturer at the local tech. It's a buzz when you know that you have (or at least tried to) pass on knowledge on to adults that wish to get into the IT industry.

There's the bonus of the local tech as they say that they'll sort out my MCT (Microsoft Certified Trainers) status for me, in other words they'll pay for it and be my sponsers :D So that's one route you could try.

The school that I work for during the day, have already expressed an interest in putting me thru the GTP to gained QTS (that'll take up to a year). Seeing that you have a HND, you may wish to top it up to a BSc/BA then do your GTP or do your PGCE to get the QTS. Or you may simply want to trying working as an unquailfied teacher for a while. This may be another couple of routes for you to try.

I have to agree with a few comments above about the kids and about having to chain the PC's. But not all kids are like that - as the saying goes you only need a handful though. As for security, there have been advancements for ICT equipment. 3/4" bolts that go thru the PC base into the desks, hidden clamps for the cable that are inside the case. There's also selecta marking, etc for all equipment. So it depends on the school you work for, this will dictate what they have.

Don't think for a moment that the schools are the only place that students try to vandalize the PC's, I've worked in local colleges that have had the same types of damage (HDD, ram, etc stolen). And now-a-days colleges are taking on more students that the local schools can't cope with.

Anyway, at the end of this long essay :biggrin it's up to you... Do you wish to turn your career into teaching? The only real way (in my opinion) is to give it ago. You don't want to get to retiring age and say "I wish I tried then..."

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: PGDip Cyber Security
  8. Balian

Balian Bit Poster

Thanks for a great post wagnerk.I'm really REALLY starting to hate my current dead end job. It's p*ssing me off no end. Crappy customer service arsebiscuit. :(