difference among intranet and home internet

Discussion in 'Networks' started by kobem, Sep 29, 2007.

1. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

i wish for ask this but before asking telling the thing in my mind

in my opinion

intranet : there are clients(think pcs) and servers (web server , ftp server)

for instance ftp server is used to share the files between people who have privileges to access these file
    (and files of a company projects)

web server ? you can't carry google servers here so maybe running the applications that are web-based (or the web pages belonging to company)

so how can i access google ? additionally how can i set up the wan connection ?

and lets pass home internet

basically consider you have a pc and a modem and a wan technology for use lets say
    dsl would be COMPARING TO INTRANET THE ONLY DIFFERENCE ARE SERVERS

AM I WRONG ?

Certifications: CCNA
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

The only real difference is who has access to the stuff that you host - the technology is basically the same, just on a different scale.

The Internet is, well the Internet.

An intranet is a little baby Internet which you only allow members of your organisation access to - and you probably host it all locally too.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

oh man can't you summarize for me cos these sentences of yours are complicated

4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Internet = BIG

Intranet = small

5. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

that looks understandable

and so at both of these , hosts can reach internet ? in intranet web server is used to reach only the related company site?

6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

You can use a company intranet and still have normal Internet access.

7. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Think about it like this, in your house, you have an ADSL router/modem and one or two pcs right? Thats an intranet (of sorts). Its a private network for an individual or company (more often a company). The intranet accesses the internet via specific exit points onto the internet (thats your modem), so any machine in the intranet can access the internet (provided you do actually have a adsl/etc connection).

However, unless you specifically set it up, as a general rule systems from the internet CANNOT access the intranet systems. If I set up a webserver in my intranet and host my personal company's internal website (containing information only for my staff), only systems INSIDE the network can access it. However, you can set it up so that certain services can be accessed from outside the network.

For instance, lets say 123company decides to create a website for the internet. They can either pay a third party company to host the site for them or, they could set up a dedicated web server inside their network and host it there, then they just need to make the appropriate changes to their network and anyone trying to visit 123company.com will be sent through their network to the web server.

Its a little more complicated than that, but thats it in a nutshell.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Too many words mate.
    He won't like that.

:D

9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

As both posters have said the internet is BIG and intranet is SMALL.

Internet is for organizations Internet is for the world.

Intranets normally have company based sites that are visited by employees everyone else can access the internet.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

You can make a home network with a WEB SERVER (but you done HAVE TOO). If you use a web server on your home network, then you have an INTRANET. People OUTSIDE your home network CAN NOT ACCESS this server.

You can also HOST a website from your network by using ANOTHER WEB SERVER and a FIREWALL. The people OUTSIDE your network will connect to THIS WEB SERVER, but cannot connect to your NETWORK WEB SERVER because of the FIREWALL.

Local Network & Network Web Server-------Firewall-----Web Server------Modem-------Internet.

You see how people on YOUR NETWORK can go THROUGH the FIREWALL and connect to the Internet BUT the firewall is set up so that people NOT ON YOUR NETWORK can not connect to your network.

This is a simplified diagram but essentially explains it. :D

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  11. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

thank you so much mates i got the result!