Didn't get a job ; (

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Jiser, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Had an interview at an upper school today. Started with a school tour, followed by a 3 panel interview, followed by a technical test (which was a breeze, hard driver power not plugged in, function key on laptop etc) then a further technical interview with a personnel officer and I.T. manager. Its quite gutting : ( I think the person who got it (There were four of us btw) hadn't worked in I.T. support before.

Interviews SUUUUUUCCK!! I don't get to here where I went wrong till next week, put it this way tho, I don't think it was to do with my technical background. Suppose tho it was for a lousy 16 k

I guess you just gotta take knock downs and use it as a challenge to further I.T. qualify yourself.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Bad news, sometimes it all goes down to who the people like the most. If your face doesn't fit regardless of your experience and qualifications then your not going to get it. However since you have experience they may have thought you'd do one after getting more experience with them.

You could always call them and and ask for an explanation or ask how you could improve your interview tecnique.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

I am moving to brazil!! Wish me luck...No more I.T. for me, I am going to become a hermit and live in the amazon like bruce parry.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  4. greenbrucelee

Atleast the weather is better over there :D

5. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Rainforest for a reason ? :D

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  6. greenbrucelee

but it's warm :)

7. francisco

francisco New Member

Yeahh Brasil for a while,recharge batteries with some Samba and caipirinha and come back and keep trying.There are lots of jobs in IT in UK and it will keep growing.Get plenty of interviews and eventually you will get it..

8. bokawel

bokawel Bit Poster

been to several interviews for an IT technician post in some schools and all of them turned me down due to lack of experience and IT knowledge. these schools are ofering 14k salary i thought they might be looking for someone who is enthusiastic and willingness to learn but i thought wrong. i have a+ and an IT degree but they seems to be looking for someone who has MCSE, PHP, CCNA and Active Directory. for that salary the person who takes that job will leave them after 1 year in the post and look for something else. its their loss and i say i hate schools :x:x

Certifications: BEng Computing, Java Cert, A+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Most companies don't want to have to train - and/or can't risk what happens when an untrained tech is set loose on their servers... they want someone who already has the experience.

That said, based on what I've heard about entry-level salaries in the UK, you are more than likely correct that an experienced MCSE/CCNA won't stick around long (if they apply at all) for a 14K job.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Hard luck mate. Anyway, i suggest you visit this site http://www.jobchangesecrets.com. They give brilliant tips on how to prepare for interviews. if we dont get knocked down we will never learn how to keep standing.. take it easy

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  11. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Sorry to hear you didn't get the job, but don't let this play on you psychologically as everyone has been turned down after an interview eitherway.

The trick is to have an upbeat attitude with energy and enthusiasm looking forward to the next interview.

In my times over the years of looking for an IT job I use to apply to lots of jobs and anticipating interviews from most if not all.

It's right to use you this phrase to sum it up, don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Keep plugging away and sure one day someone would give you a chance, but please don't write yourself off:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  12. vgarg

vgarg Nibble Poster

and the girls.....8)

Certifications: ECDL;CIW;HNC Business Computing
    WIP: A+;MCDST;N+;Bsc Computing
  13. bokawel

bokawel Bit Poster

hi boson,

been a big fan of yours and i understand what you said. the only reason why i don't have experience in IT was that i was in a job for 8 years where money was good but it was not IT related. but i do have an IT degree before i started on that job. when i had the opportunity to leave, i thought i want to go back to IT stuff, i found it hard to get in as my job experience in IT was found lacking. so i started again, first i followed your recommendations. i want to prove not to employers, but to myself that i have a appetite to be IT savvy again. so i took a+, following it up with network+ and mcdst afterwards. so far i am not particularly choosy on what jobs i take as long as it is IT related. i am volunteering in my local computer recycling company, helping out few hours a day. since passing a+ i plan on creating a website advertising myself as a pc engineer who will fix computers for a small price. even if i don't get any work from the website, the website will also help me improve on my other IT related passion, web development.

i am in my early 30s and i hope that by the time i am 35 i should have a decent full time job in IT. i wanted to go for web development but i may need practice and lots of them. so the a+, network+ and mcdst will suffice for now. at the moment i am working on a part time temporary basis as a technical support analyst in an ISP. i hope they would offer me a permanent post even if part time only, that way i can continue building up my IT experience and at the same time learn the skills i need to be a web developer.

it may not be a perfect plan but i hope it works and i would kindly ask for advice if i am missing something. thanks in advance.

14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The good thing is, you're getting IT experience, even while working part time as a technical support analyst. That's the sort of experience that companies are looking for. So, chin up! You'll be fine. I didn't start in IT (officially, anyway) until I was 28... so you're not "too old", if there IS such a thing! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. bokawel

bokawel Bit Poster

age doesn't concern me at all. i may be in my early 30s but i can easily pass as a 25 year old :biggrin:biggrin. seriously, when i was in an interview in one of those schools, they invited all 5 of us at the same time in order for the school IT manager to show us around the premises. two of them are probably in their 40s, the other two was in early 20s and i am the only one who seems to be in the middle. if those two people in their 40s applying for the job and got into the interview stage, surely i will have the same opportunity.

but not to hijack the original poster's post, i just want to say just hang in there buddy. you will get something eventually. just keep knocking in those doors and eventually someone will open up. :D