1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did some shopping...

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Shinigami, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Felt happy having passed my N+ this afternoon, so I did a quick stroll to the "definitive" computer book store in downtown Geneva and picked up a few more things to read...

So looking through this, I've got a few months to read through:

Windows Server 2008 Security Resource Kit - MSPress - 460 pages
    Windows Pwershell Second Edition - SAMS - 480 pages
    Active Directory 4th Edition - O'Reilly - 770 pages

On top of this, I recently aquired the following:

Mastering Active Directory for Windows Server 2008 - Sybex - 700 pages (read 1 chapter so far)
    Windows Server 2008 Definitive Guide - O'Reilly - 450 pages (read half the book so far)

Guess this will keep me occupied until the end of the year (looking at 2 hours of reading every day + labs... admittedly, reading the same old material from a different author requires less brain cells to digest and the labs will go faster, but I guess I just wanna cram myself full).

So, what have y'all got plans to read by December 31st =) ? Anything ambitious (I guess mine is), or just going with the flow?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
    Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  2. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

Well done mate!

Nice little spree there :p Ooh powershell, I need to get that.
    But yeah, I did that the other week but instead of materials I booked exams!
    Had 685 / 686 today, I've got 70-622 (i think it is.. the MCDST upgrade) to do for end of this month, S+ for mid nov, 299 for end Nov and then I'm debating what to do in Dec!

A lot of reading for you though... I'm guessing you're on your 6 months 'STUDYON'? :p

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  3. BosonMichael
    Highly Decorated Member Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

About to finish up Riven by Jenkins.
    The Accidental Time Traveler by Haldeman
    Kiss by Dekker
    A couple of East Asian language study guides on the trip over ;)

Probably knock out a few more between now and Christmas. I love to read.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Shinigami

Also got my 15 CD Windows 2008 audio presentation by post a few days ago courtecy of www.minasi.com

Should last me spot on for the 18 hour drive (back and forth) to our Amsterdam office next month ^

Hope its good!

5. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Do you guys not believe in flying?

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  6. Shinigami

It's all about the road trip, and my car likes driving ;) Besides, all ready racked over 30 flights this year and there's still a few of them left in December.

Change is good (sometimes).

7. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Know what you mean, I have been doing some crazy hours at work.

But I always study every day, whether that be in the car on the way to or from work or the odd 5 minutes.

Good luck with the studies, let us know how you get on.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  8. Arroryn
    Honorary Member

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed

After reading another thread, I have a copy of the Information Security Management Handbook sitting on my desk asking to be read.

I'm also reading "Das Erste Gesetz der Magie" - Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind. It's a beast of a book, and I read at a fraction of the speed in German, so that one will definitely take me all the way to Christmas :)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  9. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Train would most likely be the best option. probably faster than a plane as well.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job