Did I over/under cook it (cv help) ?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by scott-jordy, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Much better but cut down the personal statement though, its waaaaaay too long.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. MichaelUK

MichaelUK Bit Poster

Aye i know it long, really need to break it down to two paragraphs max, should really move some of it into the personal and technical skills areas of the CV but i need to know what Scott feels about it since it's his CV not mine :)

i may do that anyways so he as a few options.

Michael

Certifications: A+ taken back in 1997
    WIP: Network+
  3. MichaelUK

MichaelUK Bit Poster

I have slimmed down the personal statement to three paragraphs this should be better.

Michael

Attached Files:

Certifications: A+ taken back in 1997
    WIP: Network+
  4. scott-jordy

scott-jordy Bit Poster

Wow michael thats magic so much clearer and a lot more easy to read im well chuffed with how you have laid it out really splits it up nicely i owe you a drink or 2:alc.

Im getting the profile reworded a little has it was a starting idea from the forum and didnt want to copy someones idea/wording. Do you reckon i should add in my comptia/mcp logos to jazz it up a bit or not ?

Just want to say thank you for all your help mate I really appreciate what you done and taking the time for a kinda noobie to cv's :D

Certifications: Ecdl A+ Mcp 271
    WIP: Network + Mcdst Then ????
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

You should list any certification acronyms in 'upper case'.

eg. MCDST (Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician)

not Mcdst

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
    Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. scott-jordy

scott-jordy Bit Poster

Thanks bluerinse:thumbleft should i bold them aswell or would that be a bit to much? also not to sure if logos is over the top.

7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

No don't bold them, i only did that for emphasis here.

As for the logos, well that's more of a personal preference. If you chose to use them, i would make them small and put them at the bottom of the CV rather than big and at the top. Sometimes subtlety is king 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Just had a quick peek, and made a few comments of my own - a track-changed (so you can dismiss at will!) version is uploaded on my post.

I'll point out now for your own sanity, I'm a complete pedant, and my comments as ever are only my opinion. :)

Attached Files:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  9. scott-jordy

scott-jordy Bit Poster

Thanks Arroryn yes ive noticed quite a few mistakes ive made over time trying to rewrite and i like what you did their with the comments im working on it now to tidy it up,im also taking all these ideas and input in so that i can get it just right next time i send off for a job, my cv the way it was i wouldnt of wanted to employ me.

Thanks everyone for your help:D

10. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

People would pay for that level of detail.. use it well mate

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)