Did I do the right thing?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by mad_maxx, Apr 3, 2008.

1. mad_maxx

mad_maxx Bit Poster

Hi there,

Just after a bit of advice really.

I've worked in desktop support for the last five years and have been with my current employer for the last 14 months. During my current term of employment I have become what I would consider a key player in my team. I am well known and respected within my own team (14 desktop support guys) and throughout the entire IT department. My role basically encompasses dealing with technically, politically and procedurally complex issues which require in-depth investigation or PR work to keep people happy.

I have wanted to move into a server orientated role for quite some time, however have never really had the opportunity. I was having a chat with one of our senior server guys who was saying that I should see about joining the server team as they have all been impressed with my approach to work and would be pleased to have me in the team.

I then had a chat with the server team manager in the drinks room, and basically explained to him that I'd really like the opportunity to work in the team. He seemed favourable to the idea and said that my name was often brought up in meetings as a potential new recruit to the team.

My current team manager guessed what my game was about when he saw me chatting to the server team manager, so I was honest and frank to him about my intentions and where I want to go. He wasn't happy and said that his main objective is to make sure his team delivers a good service, and said that he would block my team move. He also tried to talk me out of wanting to move on the basis that my profile wouldn't be the same. He also asked if it was a money thing.

I explained to him that I wanted a change of scene which involves more exposure to technology, and that the server/networking side of IT is one which interests me. We have some interesting AD, Citrix and virtualisation projects coming up, which I would really be interested in being ionvolved in.

I also emphasised that my reason for wanting the move is NOT for money.

Did I do the right thing, or have I shot myself in the foot?

Cheers

J

Certifications: MCSE:Messaging
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You did the right thing mate.

Looks like your team manager does not want to see you go. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Personally, I don't see you did anything wrong.

You were upfront and honest with your current boss, and you haven't slagged anyone off.

Continue working as you have done previously, and no one can have any questions about your ongoing committment.

If the server team job comes off, then great.

As an aside, can your boss really block the move? He'd be daft to, plus it would surely show how much value he places on your work and your ability.

4. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Maybe I wouldn't have told your line manager until you had a solid offer to move, but that aside I think you did the right thing.

It's a shame your manager can not be more supportive of your decision, but at the end of the day he is just protecting his best interests. I would give him a big slap if he does try to and put the spanner in the works for you though!

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Of course he won't be happy - you're a good employee. But blocking your team move is a bad idea - does he think that'll motivate you to continue to do good work? :blink

Some managers... the lack of common sense astounds me. It shouldn't... but it does.

Of course you did the right thing. He asked; you told him the truth. You shouldn't have to lie about things like that. You want to advance... and working with servers IS a step up, no matter how your manager wants to spin it.

No shame at all, mate. :) I'd have done the same.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I also think you did the right move, I probably would of done the same. Sooner or later you'll be switching postions and if you're ready now then why not go for it. Good luck mate!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  7. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Like others, I'd say you handled it perfectly. Honesty IS the best policy. The fact that he blocked you (or will do so) speaks very loudly that he cannot manage properly. Sure, it'll hurt him in the short term, but he should have realized that you (or anyone) would be moving on, and actively encouraging you to groom your own replacement. Any manager worth his salt should have outlined that from the get-go. Still, desktop support has always been a step into a server role, and that's why he may be sensitive (and tired of) it.

Does he NOT do performance and goal reviews every 6 months? Most decently managed IT groups have that outlined, even if they rarely follow it. There's no reason he SHOULDN'T have seen this coming.

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  8. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Like the rest have already said you did the right thing! You talked to people in the server-team, and then the manager. There’s nothing wrong in wanting to progress your career. If your manager does prevent the move, he’ll be playing a game of risk:
    - You not motivated; Result: Reason to keep you backfired
    - You leaving the org entirely; Result: Loss to the organization; pissing off his peers
    - The rest of the team feeling deflated; Result: His team stops trying to do their best as their efforts will obviously result in no career progression.