Did I cockup?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by greenbrucelee, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I'm not really sure why you consider using google to find the answers 'cheating'
    working IT isn't a shot at who wants to be a millionaire, its literally 90% analysis and research and 10% execution, I would have list listed the google search terms that got you the answer next to the questions you needed the help on
    indicating that you didn't need help on most of then, and the ones you did you found with easy using your ability to use google

in fairness, i agree with all the others, that was a bit of an odd first step, and rather fast turn around
    but sure, if you got 2 wrong and nobody else did, you would be at the bottom of the pile right?

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Well I thought it was a trick, because if I got 100% then I thought they would think I must have cheated to get the answers and they would think why is he applying for this position and why isn't he doing this job already if he knows these answers. Hopefully they will send me feedback so I can find out for definate.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

You either cheated and should have known the answers to majority of questions which why you were rejected or the the job like jobs advertised are fake and you got fooled. :(:(

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: Server+, Vista,
  4. zet

zet Byte Poster

I admire that you took the honest route.

Certifications: BSc, MSc, A+
  5. Georgiesickjitz

Georgiesickjitz Byte Poster

GB dont be so hard on your self mate,iv had exactly the same thing happen to me. Im sure they literally have tens of applications to go through. Good luck with the job hunting big man.

Certifications: CompTIA A+,CompTIA Network
    WIP: CCNA
  6. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I wouldn't worry about it GB as recruitment agencies are quite unreliable and there might not have been any vacancies at all. I suppose with time you'd get the gist as usually the genuine ones would send you a job spec first after speaking to you on the phone, possibly followed by a telephone interview etc.

Don't be hard on yourself and move on, best wishes dude:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  7. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

As for using Google, well who doesn't in IT as I use it every time am stuck at resolving a technical issue at work. I also know for a fact several other well experienced consultants that have worked in my place of work google all the time too.

Unfortunately, as you know technology evolves at a very fast and rapid past leaving behind many obsolete skills. To be honest even with google some people still can't find or resolve an issue so it's not the final icing on the cake, but does help alot.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
    Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  8. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I think I made an even bigger **** up today.
    Applied for a job, excellent hours, pay etc etc, the only downside was that it is 3 months rolling rather than perm.
    Get a callback from the agency within 15 mins of sending in my CV indicating that they would prefer a notice period less than 2 weeks. Get a callback 3 hours later saying the IT manger wants to interview me and is willing to make concessions if my notice period is longer than 2 weeks.
    I told one of my colleagues, who has more experience than me, about it. He managed to find it in about 5 minutes and has, as far as I know applied.
    Loose lips sink ships. :cry:

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  9. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Samething happened to me years ago...but over a paper round LOL! I told a "mate" that the newsagent was considering hiring me to do the morning paper round before school! Next thing I know my "mate's" mum and dad are up there begging the shop owner to hire their kid...for less pay!!! Shop owner took my "mate" on...and that was that! No happy ending, revenge or anything like that! But I did learn my lesson! :p

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

It wasn't a recruitment agency it was a direct application to a company. They have just sent me an email syaing in order to be fair they do not give individual feedback to applicants.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  11. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Haha. That's a good story.

In all honesty, keep your cards to your chest. :D

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3