Did I cockup?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by greenbrucelee, Jan 11, 2011.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I applied for a job through CWJobs and got a reply from the company saying they were interested, I thought thats cool they then sent me a list of technical questions which I was to email back to them.

Being the honest person I am, I didn't use google to find the answers I just used the knowledge I have to answer. I know for a fact that 13 out of the 15 questions were answered correctly and I think I got the other two wrong.

I got an email back say sorry your application at this time was unsuccessful.

Do you think I made a cockup by being honest?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

Did they ask you not to research the answers? The only time that I've had an experience like this they fully expected us to use Google.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  3. greenbrucelee

No but it did say. If you can't answer any questions do not worry just move onto the next one.

4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

To be honest, any questions sent for you to answer on your own - the sender is going to expect you to look up the answers, even if they tell you not to. It's human nature.
    If they had wanted them answered under test conditions, they'd have got you in.
    They were most likely looking for something like your writing style rather than the actual answers to the questions.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. greenbrucelee

I hadn't thought of that. The most weird question was what are you favorite IT books?:blink as opposed to questions like if you move a file from one partition to another partition what happens to the files permissions?

6. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

I would think they would at least do a phone interview if they want to ask technical question and not give you a chance to look up the answers.

7. coolc

coolc Nibble Poster

Oh bro, you never know what happened. Just send a reply and say thank you for your time and please may I have my results. I recieved a technical test like two days ago, I did not google or anything like that and I emailed them back, still no reply.

8. greenbrucelee

I applied for the job at 12:30 yesterday, got the technical questions at 17:33 and got the rejection at 09:20 this morning. I would have thought that being honest would show them that I was willing to get more experience and learn but maybe not, not sure now.

9. coolc

coolc Nibble Poster

You never know, maybe you got the rejection letter due to something else. Like other people answered more correct answers than you. I never googled or anything like that too, I know I had some wrong ones because after the test I emailed my copy to someone in this forum to check. That user (Apoc220) checked it and gave me some good advice (helpful). They should have gave us the test in a test enviroment, not fair.

10. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

I would just ask for feedback if you haven't already done so, rather than trying to guess what it may have been.

Hopefully they tell you.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  11. Mariusz

Mariusz Byte Poster

standard text from recruiters, they always write it, probably they found somebody "better" than you, I got many letters like that, they probably also wrote you that they wish you all the best in searching for job - also standard text

concerning to honesty - I would lie and search all on google and put proper answer for all 15 questions even If I didn't know single answer (how will they check it?), probably the guy that got the job did it :-)

anyway maybe that was the trick - "can he use google?" "can he find answers for something he doesn't know?"

good luck next time mate :-)

Certifications: ECDL Extra, ITQ Lvl2, CompTIA A+, N+, S+
    WIP: MCTS 70-680 Win7
  12. greenbrucelee

The problem is the ad for the job was only posted yesterday which was the day I applied, I would have thought the recruitment process would take longer than that.

13. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Might have been knocked back at the first stage.

Don't stress about it, seems an unusual first stage of the interview process tbh.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  14. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Don't stress mate, like Sparky said, it is an unusual screening process...

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  15. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Could have been fishing mate...were you asked anything else? Like your Employer Name and Hiring Manager?

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  16. L1ONE

L1ONE Bit Poster

That's what I assumed, sounds like they were doing some market research.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, MCDST, MCP
    WIP: N+ maybe.
  17. greenbrucelee

Nope just the technical questions with the odd one about what are my favorite IT books :blink

18. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

I agree with Sparky. How random to email you questions and then say you weren't successful :S I think perhaps they were either after someone very specific...... or they are just a bit daft, either seem likely to me. For instance, when asked what IT books you read at home, they might of wanted you to say I don't read IT books because I have a good work life balance, something mad like that no doubt.

Good on you for applying mate, keep at it, could all be fate ;)

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  19. greenbrucelee

I suppose so, I have asked for feedback but havent had anything yet.

20. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

Hopefully they will give you some feedback. For all you know right now their decision could have nothing to do with the questions. Maybe they received a number resumes they just loved after they had contacted you with the questions.