dhcp relay agent not working ....sorta!?

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by dales, Jan 31, 2009.

1. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Hi all, I've got a bit of a nagging issue. Im trying to test out RRAS and have set up my network as below.

My main network is 192.168.1.x/24, on it is my dc/dns/dhcp server with a few other bits and bobs plus my adsl modem/router. on that network is a server called "rras" who has 2 nics, one is 192.168.1.42 and the other is 172.16.10.2/16 which is connected to another virtual switch. the only thing connecting the 2 networks is the rras box. on the 172.16 side is one client pc. rras has been set up on the server and also the dhcp relay agent has been added to the 172.16 card and pointed to my dhcp server of 192.168.1.8 .

The dhcp server has 2 scopes for both subnets all working fine. my adsl modem/router also has a static route added to direct traffic bound for 172.16 to the 192.168.1.42 card.

Now when I run network monitor on both cards on rras on the 172.16 subnet i see discover packets go out and on the 192.16.1.42 card i see discover packets and offer packets being sent back.

my problem is the offer packets dont seem to be being passed through the 192.168.1.42 card to the 172.16. card. although this has just worked once and the client got a valid 172.16 address. I was amazed as I didnt change anything so ran a renew on the card and again it failed to get the offer packets so could not continue the dora process.

OMG WTF etc etc

any ideas, surely I should not have to add a static route inside the rras box as the box knows about both configs?

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

well, weirdly enough its working now didnt really do anything different it just kinda kicked in and started working.

I forgot to add in the previous post that if I gave the client a static address I could resolve all the way to the other side and had already added the rras server to the RAS and IAS group.

Dunno why it seems to take a minute or two to kick in but it does!?

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Cool, sometimes patience is a virtue :wink:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)