DHCP Question

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Methodman85, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

Hello Everyone,

I need some help....again. Being a noob is rough.

I plan on running a split scope scenario for some DHCP redundancy.

My DC's are on different networks, 172.18.2.0, and 172.18.4.0.
    172.18.4.0 is the network using DHCP, the .2 network is all static and does not require DHCP.
    This might be a total noob question but can I add a .4 network scope to the DC on the .2 Network, and have it work fine? Is there anything else I would need to do?

Certifications: MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, CCNA, MCDST, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

How are the two networks connected? Are they on the same site? There must be a router in there somewhere and this will stop the DHCP broadcasts unless you can forward the requests onto the DHCP server.

How many hosts are currently in use on the .2 network just now?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

We have a switch sitting inbetween both networks with Bootp enabled.. will that allow IP requests from the .4 network to reach the DHCP server on the .2 network?

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

It should do yes.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

:blinkSuperscope?

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Not much point in a superscope, as the .2 network is all *static* :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. Sparky

Yup, as said it should work.

Can you not just add the DHCP role to the DC on the .2 subnet though?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  8. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

Hey Sparky,

I didn't even know that was an option, what do you mean exactly? If I added the DHCP role to the DC on the .2 network it would act as a backup server servicing the .4 clients with IPs?

9. Sparky

It can do if configured correctly, also it means you dont have to configure static IPs on the PCs in the .2 subnet. 8)

10. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

I see! Well I'll defeintely look into that option, although I think my manager would have a hernia if I even suggested setting up DHCP for the .2 network (Lots of internal apps hardcoded to point to static ips on the 2 network)

Thanks very much Sparky and Bluerinse!

11. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

I can't seem to get this to work. I don't think the DHCP requests are reaching the .2 network's DC, but I'm not sure.
    Aside from making sure Bootp is configured correctly on the switch, is there anything else I need to do to get this working?

12. Sparky

How are you testing this? If the client is on the .4 network and it broadcasts for an IP it will be requested by the DHCP server on that subnet first.

If poss can you disable DHCP on that subnet as a test and then try and get a lease from the DHCP server on the other subnet.

13. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

Hey Sparky,
    For testing I pause DHCP on the .4 network server, then proceed to release and renew. No IP address is assigned, the client just ends up with the 169 private address.

14. Sparky

Do you have any other servers on the .4 network? If so you could configure a DHCP relay agent to forward the requests onto the DHCP server on the .2 network.

Going back to the original options what BOOTP options do you have on the switch? Also if you have a device on the .2 network can it access all resoucres on the .4 network, for example can you ping a device on the other subnet.

15. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

When my manager originally asked me to do this the first thing I thought of was a relay agent, but I had only read about it in passing and have no Idea how to set one up. Is it pretty straight forward?

My Boss is more of the network admin, he manages the switches so I'll have to ask him about the BOOTP options, he just simply told me it was enabled, I don't know if it's just forwarding or relaying, looks like it isn't doing either right now.

And yes there is full resource access between the .2 and .4 network, printers, shared folders, RDP, ping etc.

16. Sparky

Its not too bad, if the relay agent doesnt work then the switch may be stopping the DHCP traffic.

17. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

Yeah I'm thinking the problem's on the switch, hopefully the switch can be fully configured to act as the relay agent and direct DHCP/BOOTP traffic directly the .2 network DC, I'll have to wait until my manager has time to check it out.
    Thanks again Sparky

18. SuPaStA

SuPaStA Nibble Poster

When configuring the switch you need to specify where the dhcp servers are configured, so as you want it to have redundancy you will add 2 dhcp servers, if the one fails it will go to the next one.
    Obviously you will need layer 3 routing if the dhcp server is on different subnets.

Certifications: CCNA,MCSE,ITIL,Server+,Security+,N+...
    WIP: CCNP