DHCP Problem on my belkin router?

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by Sure Shot, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Sure Shot

Sure Shot Nibble Poster

Hi Guys,

I have a little belkin router at home used to provide internet to my pc (wired) and a new laptop running vista (wirelessly).

Up until recently the laptop had been connecting fine. I now have an intermittent problem where sometimes it connects but most of the time it doesn't. When I say doesn't connect i mean it doesn't connect to the internet, it does however connect to the router.

Running ipconfig reveals that the laptop is receiving an APIPA meaning it is not receiving a valid network IP address for some reason. My current knowledge tells me this is a DHCP problem. Is it?

No new security software or applications have been installed previous to this problem starting.

I am running zonealarm and avg.

Thanks in advance

Certifications: N+
    WIP: MCDST
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

If you have an APIPA address your laptop isn't connected to anything.

Not sure about Vista, but I have found some wireless devices are still loading after the desktop has loaded in XP. I found leaving it at the logon box for a little longer usually helps.

Does it make any difference if you are sat next to the access point? What encryption (if any) are you using?

Boyce

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

My understanding of APIPA is that you have a valid connection but there is no DHCP source. For example plug your laptop into basic switch and you will get a 169 I.P. If you are not connected to anything you will get a ‘media disconnected’ status in Network connections.

Give your laptop a static IP (in the correct LAN subnet) and if you still can’t connect it may be an issue with encryption. If so switch it off (just as a test!) and once connected start to lock things down. 8)

I had a similar problem with a Netgear wireless access point. The laptop would not get an IP from the server even though it was connected. I configured an alternate IP in the correct subnet (rather than the default 169) and then the laptop could access the network.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Sure Shot

Sure Shot Nibble Poster

Hi Boyce

What I mean is that with vista you see a running progress of your connection status in the network and sharing center and the status when the connection is on the blink is "connected but with limited access" and the identifying network icon is continuously animated.

Haven't really noticed a difference being any closer to the router, it just connects when it feels like.

Security wise - WPA2 I believe

I haven't done a hard reset on the router yet to see if that clears anything up. I have also tried removing the security to see if there is any difference, no joy.

5. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

have you disable your zonealarm aswell? if not, please do so for the above purposes the our Sparky-mate mentioned...

6. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

what about if you give the laptop a static ip address?

my on board wirelss nic can take a while to load in vista sometimes and can seem to hang but always connects fine.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  7. Sure Shot

Sure Shot Nibble Poster

Tried that with a couple of working static address's still no joy.

I know what you mean by vista hanging on the wireless connection, which I don't mind, but it's got to the point now where I've waited up to half an hour only to see the connection end up as an "unidentified network"

Tried shutting zonealarm down too, no joy.

Like I say, it's intermitent, I'm writing this now, connected, with zonealarm and encription in place. No problems at all. I shall shut this laptop down tonight, restart tomorrow and be faced with the same problem.

8. Sparky

Remove all security from the access point and test, any joy?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  9. Sure Shot

Sure Shot Nibble Poster

Done that too at one point, don't think it made a difference.

lets just assume it is an encryption problem, what would a likely solution be? Reset and start fresh?

10. Sparky

Yes, also is there a firmware update available for the wireless access point?

Set the access point up to broadcast the network name and scan for it on the laptop.

If you still cant connect it may be an issue with the laptop. Check what Windows patches have been pulled down. I had a problem with a patch that caused my NIC to stop working.

The joy of Vista! :biggrin

Also is there anything around that may cause interference for the wireless access point? Cordless phone etc.

11. Sure Shot

Sure Shot Nibble Poster

The Joy of Vista indeed.

Cool, will do a reset as soon as.

Checked for firmware update, none available.

No cordless interference.

A patch issue did cross my mind as like I said this problem only started recently, and I have recently installed some patches. Might be worth investigating.

Cheers

12. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

run netstumbler on ur lappie and see if it picks up ur AP

13. warrmr

warrmr Byte Poster

I have a very similar problem with my belkin router and my home network.

mine is a wired only router ( no wireless) but my soultion works its just an anoyance than a problem.

basicly every 3-4 days the router crashes. and it wont assign DHCP addresses or it will assign an address but it wont let the internal lan talk to the internet.

i tend just to pull the plug on both my router and cable modem then i plug them both in wait till the lights stop flashing then do an ipconfig /renew on the pcs that are affected and it seems to work fine for a few more days.

it also happenes when im playing with my virtual machines over the network i have 2 pcs with 3 virtual pcs running on them and they all communicate over my physical ethernet network that crashes the router as there are to many connections per lan port ( surley its just like putting a switch into each lan port and extending it that way.

all i can say is belkin went shite when they upgraded the firmware from version 1.001 when they also put the "perental controls" in thats when my router started to break.

Certifications: MCP 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: MCSA + Messaging, MCSE + Security
  14. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Just to note: APIPA is set by default and assigns an ip address (beginning with 169) if your client can not obtain an IP address automatically.

If your system can't contact a DHCP server then an APIPA address is then used.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  15. warrmr

warrmr Byte Poster

169.254.x.x is an APIPA address.

As far as i know there are only these addresses for internal networks (private)

10.x.x.x (class A)

127.x.x.x (loopback (wasted range)

169.254.x.x APIPA

172.16.x.x Class B

192.168.x.x Class C

16. Sparky

169 is the default APIPA IP address range although you can change this manually if required.

When you do get an IP address but you cant connect to the internet is the IP address in your defined LAN subnet?

17. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Er - <cough> - no. APIPA *is* on the 169 address. A quick google will confirm this. Like here.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  18. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

According to my A+ AIO 6th edit 169 is APIPA 192 is static and 192 is what you want.

Just looked it up to verify what I had said was correct.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  19. warrmr

warrmr Byte Poster

yes im a numpty, i realied then edited my post but you were to fast in replying damnit

20. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

<grin> - no probs! Just lucky timing. :biggrin

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+