DHCP Authorization problem

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by searchformeaning, May 22, 2012.

1. searchformeaning

searchformeaning Bit Poster

I have a problem with a DC. It takes too long to log into windows server 2003. A window diplaying "Preparing Netwrok connections" takes about 15 - 20 mins before I can log into windows. I went to event viewer to see if there is any errors and I found this error

Event ID: 1059
    The DHCP service failed to see a directory server for authorization.

I googled it and tried the suggested solutions but I could not figure out why it still appears each time I log into the DC.

Certifications: A+, Security+, MCP
  2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

From the sound of it you have DNS issues, I take it you have more than one DC in the environment, if not this is potentially very problematic indeed (really hoping this is a lab DC)! if it takes 15-20 minutes before it logs in then DHCP is probably the least of your worries. Make sure that you have static IP addresses assigned to your DC's and ensure that DNS is correctly configured, Usually you would have the primary DNS pointint to itself and the secondary and another DC. Can you give us a little more info on your environment.

What are the IP's etc of your DC's are they static or dynamic, any other messsages in the event log?
    Are they physical, virtual if virtual what hypervisor are you using and are they connected all to the same lan segment.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. searchformeaning

That small network has only ONE DC and about 120 client computers that run normal Microsoft client and third party software depending on user needs.

IP configuration for DC
    IP address: 10.10.0.10
    subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
    primary DNS: 192.168.0.10

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

The primary DNS server should be itself... Active directory relies heavily on DNS, you need to focus on that and maybe read up on it :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
    jk2447 likes this.
  5. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

No wonder, as bluerinse says you need to point the DC's DNS at itself. I'm surprised that its just DHCP that you have had issues with.I wouldnt change the DNS setting during production hours, do it out of hours and start using a client just to make sure that the change goes unnoticed by the clients.

As Bluerinse says read up on DNS as a configuration mistake could be fatal in any environment and seriously mennece any weekend plans you have.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
    Bluerinse likes this.
  6. searchformeaning

I am sorry it was a mistake. Acutally, it's IP is 192.168.0.10. It points to itself as a DNS server. Of course, I know that or I would search for another job :)) again how to solve this problem. It's not related to IP configuration on the DC

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  7. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

Does sound DNSish... also sounds weird. Has it always been like this or is this new?

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  8. searchformeaning

Nope. It just poped up 2 or 3 weeks ago.

9. gmbaxter

gmbaxter Bit Poster

I've always seen this behaviour when starting a sole DC, or turning on the first DC, but never a delay that long.

Can you check the IP settings to see if you have an alternate configuration on the network adapter? Also, try setting the DHCP server service to manual startup, restart DC and observe time taken to log in, and note any other errors. Don't forget to change back to automatic, and start the service after.

Certifications: BSc (Hons) Computer Network Technology, ACSP, ACTS
    WIP: MCSA (2012)
  10. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

If you do an nslookup on the DC, does it reply back with itself as a name server? then in nslookup, can you do look ups of other servers/clients and vice versa? If you are going to use an IP to do a lookup, you'll have to make sure you also have a reverse lookup zone for that network.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
    Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA