Development advice for new starter

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by happupaul, Apr 11, 2010.

1. happupaul

happupaul New Member

Development advice for new starter

Good afternoon :)

New member here but have been reading through some things in the past few weeks, and thought it was about time to make a post.

Basically at the start of 2011 I shall be moving further up the country to Newcastle.

I was thinking of trying to get into the Computer industry. Maybe trying to get into desktop support, then working my way up??

I was previously interested and started a BSc in Computer Communications in 2005, did one year and left due to family and financial issues, and that was that. I am now working in Security, which I am the Assistant supervisor of an EDF building site, at least it bring me the money in.. but it is very soul destroying and will be leaving in December just before I move!

I am still very interested, and was thinking maybe in my own time get myself up to scratch by doing the Comptia courses then going for the exams..? Would this be a good idea?

Any other things which I should do to try and get into the industry? I would rather do networks and things but I'm sure you can't get into it that easy and would have to get some experience in other it feilds like desktop support first??

I am still only 23 so would love to get started once again and hopefully get into a decent career!

Any help and guidence very much appreciated
    Paul.

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Yes, it's a good idea. Also you may also want to consider either the MCDST (XP) or the MCITP: Consumer Support Tech (for Vista), as you don't have any domain/enterprise experience.

You could try the following:

1. Volunteer.
    2. You could try joining a professional IT association and network with other IT Pro's.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

I would recommend starting with A+ first, good as any place to start!

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+