Desktop support guy looking for a change

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by rabs82, Nov 6, 2011.

1. rabs82

rabs82 New Member

Hi all!

I've been in Desktop support/infrastructure for almost 10 years and I'd like to do something different.

I'm open to anything to be honest and I don't think anything in particular would be out of my reach as i'm a very fast learner and generally a smart person. Desktop work has just become so easy, I don't feel I'm challenged any more.

Should I look at programming? I really don't know what's best for me at the moment...open to suggestions!?! :)

Thanks!

Ben.

2. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Hiya

From your post, and I may be mistaken, it sounds like you work primarily with desktop support and probably use AD and few other bits to help with your daily role. Is this the case?

If you don't really have much of an idea where you'd like to go from here then I'm not sure what to suggest. I'll throw some bits your way though, if only to get you thinking.

Have you considered moving into a more sys admin type role? After 10 years you may have done at least enough to get into a more junior sys admin position. If not then consider certification to get there. Ten years in desktop really is a long time. Most see it as a stepping stone unless they're the manager.

A move into programming would be tricky, unless you are doing at least a little code on a regular basis you would really have to start from scratch and breaking in would be very hard and a long process. Not impossible, just hard. I had considered moving into code a while a go. I spoke to some devs and they recommended that I start with Java then write a few web apps. Build up a portfolio then start looking at junior positions. I started to learn but then fell into other stuff.

Are there any options to move sideways or up in your present role? Any aspects of your role that you are really interested in that you could build on? I got into doing project work while in desktop then moved onto more advanced project work. I now work in consultancy.

Really I think you need to decide on a direction and focus your energy on that while sleep walking through your current job. If you can figure out what you would like to do then there's nothing to stop you really.

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  3. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA