Design advice

Discussion in 'Web Development & Web Hosting' started by nugget, Mar 5, 2004.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I was wondering what works better with browsers, frames or tables?

I've been doing a small site for my wife and at the moment the site is made with frames but lately I’ve been thinking about doing it with tables.

My thinking was that with frames the graphics would only need to be downloaded once and not with every page. Lately I've been thinking about tables so I could then use background colours and less graphics. Would this be a step in the right direction?

Also I’ve managed to learn to take better pictures. This will help I’m sure. :oops:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Tables, frames is a BIG no no, when it comes to web design. But it really depends on who your going to be marketing the site at. If its a personal site that will only get visisted by family and friends from word of mouth then frames will be OK.

If you hoping to get the site indexed by search engines then stay away from frames. Most search engine spiders dont like frames and may not index your site.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Thanks Si. I'll start working on that asap.

Anyone have any good links for simple (ie beginners) web design they can pass on?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
  4. SimonV
    Honorary Member

Are you using a WYSIWYG editor, if so which one? Or are you going to learn HTML.

5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I'm using Dreamweaver MX 2004 Si.

6. SimonV
    Honorary Member

I started out using FrontPage then onto Dreamweaver , from memory doesn't Dreamweaver have a tutorial in the help menu? I found that very good and got alot from working through it.

HTH

7. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I use this site html goodies

I'd start off by reading the primers

Thing I think is very important is to plan before you even touch the computer.I mean I have bought A2 paper on which to plan what I want the website to look like.So draw what you want it to look like, then go and make it happen on the screen.
    This is the right approach, rather than sitting in front of the computer worrying about the code and designing it at the same time.

I don't use programs persoanlly, rather have the full control by learning the html.

8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Yes the tutorial is not bad. I got part way throught it but as with all tutorials it tells you how to use the product, not what is better (do's and don'ts) hence my questions above.

I was thinking more about courtesy tips and tips on how to make the site more user friendly.

9. SimonV
    Honorary Member

10. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Thanks for the top links guys. These help a lot and are just what the doctor ordered. :lol: