Depressing job hunting...

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by twizzle, Mar 3, 2006.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Take a look at my resume. I edited out my personal details using OO so the formatting might have changed some when I saved it in the .doc format so it might not display correctly.

In my cover letters I addressed the 800 .lb elephant of no experience by emphasing my love of learning and giving examples of my skills irl. I would give a short description of one of the Linux tasks I had accomplished such as getting a WinModem to work under Linux and creating a script that would start the connection process when the user would click on an icon. I also gave contact names and phone numbers for the small businesses I had done consulting for.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Hi Twizzle,

Your CV reads well but I would offer a few suggestions, I’ve had my CV ripped apart rebuilt several times over the years!

Your job history starts with the most recent job and then continues however your training starts with the oldest qualification, should both of these be in the same order?

You mention that you have built and maintained websites. What did you do this in? html, javascript or was it a database driven website? Perhaps even list a URL to show your work?

“Helped install part of local College network while in Devon.” what does this entail? It could be putting in servers or cabling, it’s hard to tell.

As ffreeloader says try and list some references or at least say “on request” at the end of your C.V.

Best of luck with the job search, I’ve been there myself when I graduated and it was tough. I would suggest to try and use the time constructively to add some more skills to your C.V, everything helps!

Best of luck! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. ffreeloader

LOL. Looks like I forgot to attach my resume.

Attached Files:

4. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Nice CV Freddy, short and sweet, However i have found that Employers in the UK like to have the names of companies that you've worked for rather than just a list of skills. Many times i got jobs due to working at Rolls-Royce even tho that was only an apprenticeship. Employers saw the name and thought great! Top class company so must of had good training.

The list of skills tho does make it easier, i agree to see, what i can do and to see if i have any thing relevant to offer. Like you i tend to try to cover the lack of experience, some way, in my covering letter. I use that to try to get across what im capable of rather than the CV. The CV reflects my experince and skills, a covering letter explains them in more detail.

Sparky, Your right about the order of the qualifications they should be same way the jobs are listed... OOPS seems i missed that!
    I cant give links to the websites i did as 2 of them are no more and another one i only did about 4 pages of and it wasnt impressive (www.paceproducts.co.uk i did the gallery page layouts not much.. o and a pdf file in there). And it does say basic web desgin on my CV so im not hinting at Java, php sql etc etc.

And finally as for References, like i've said before, trying to get in touch with employers from 10 years ago is hard. I know some have closed down, Some have moved. And others the people i worked with are no longer there so noone can back up what i did. Normally i have to use personal references for jobs or else i get stuck.

And as for using the time i have, i am doing the network+ and will go on to do more after, but at the same time i have 2 kids, a G/f and a house to sort out.... Free time is at a premium as it is even tho i dont work!! lol :)

Still thanks fer advice one an all. Its why this forum exists!

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  5. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

This may have already been said, but you may have to take something "not 100% IT related" just to get yout foot in the door. When I first started looking to get out of what I was doing (23 years of heating and air conditioning) and get into IT, I spent 3 1/2 years of sending out resumes and interviews until I found what I am doing right now. Now, it's not what I want to be doing (call center), but it's a foot in the door. The IT director has already approached me about coming to work for him when he saw all the MCSA/MCSE/Cisco books on my desk, plus he stops by my desk almost every day at lunch time because I RDP into my machine here and play with VMware. So I have that to look forward to.

So don't get discouraged. You may have to hunt a while and then take something as a stepping stone to something esle.

The job market in your area is a factor too. Here where I live (Greenville, SC, USA) there are TONS of out-of-work IT people jumping at every opportunity, including $10/hr help desk jobs.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  6. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

And after looking at Freddy's resume.......I may consider a new layout for mine....if nothing else just to be different.

And here is a link to M$'s mage for new Word resume templates.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  7. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

OK guys I've put some pages up on my new site dedicated to taking on that whole 'no experience-need experience' catch 22.

It's going to have lots of mistakes and needs lots more work on the general look and functionality but if I could get some feedback on the actual content that would be great :D

I hereby declare http://www.first-computer-job.com open

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  8. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Looks like a great site Pete! :thumbleft

From the quick read of it that I've just had I'd say that you may well have found a 'niche' corner of the market.

Content so far looks good and promising.

Good stuff! :biggrin

9. ffreeloader

I don't know whether it was a coincidence or not, but that resume got me a much higher interview ratio than the ones I had that used complete sentences and/or paragraphs. I think it has to do with a fact that an HR person can scan it a matter of seconds and get the relevant information, but who knows what the real reason was. Maybe the job market was just improving here or I was applying at the right places at the right times. You never really know.

10. unemployedstudent

unemployedstudent Byte Poster

Great advice and suggestions, the Web Site looks really good.

Certifications: BAISA(hons) Degree, ECDL.
    WIP: A+, CompTIA N+, CCNA
  11. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Looks a great site Pete. A quick scans make it appear that you know what your talking about. It does sem to sum up the job market and employment requirements compared to what to do if your not working or missing experience.

This seems like a good thread i started with lots of advice for everyone... Hope it keeps goin :)

12. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Achievements is spelt wrong in your CV, prob cuz of the you haven't selected spell check cap letters...

13. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Good spot. I ran “cuz” through the spellchecker and it was not recognised either. :tongue

Only kidding mate :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  14. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Always the same... keep looking at something starring you in the face and you miss the lil details lol :) Corrected now tho thanks!