Deploying cloned pcs in the same domain

Discussion in 'Software' started by nugget, Apr 26, 2009.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi all. Looking for a little procedural advice here.

I have someone who wants me to install 4 new laptops for them. Normally I would install each individually as well as the respective software for each one, but, the way the customer usually does it is to install one, take an image with acronis and then install the image onto the other pcs or laptops. He would like me to do the same.

I know that when deploying cloned/imaged pcs on the same network and domain there might be trouble with the SID. Is there anything that I should keep in mind and look out for?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.:oops:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

can change sid with New Sid Generator. I have file 222 KB
    * looks for link

New Sid Generator change the er Sid :wink and the host name
    *think the name of tool called SysPrep Tool

edit url
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/bb897418.aspx

3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I'm assuming that the laptops will be XP & all 4 laptops are the same? Vista is alittle bit more tolerant with different HW, I've found.

Make sure that you unjoin the laptop pre-cloning (if you joined the laptop to the domain for whatever reason), it'll save you steps later on.

There are two ways around the SID problem:

1. Either sysprep the laptops before cloning or
    2. Newsid the laptops after the cloning.

Plus also keep a copy of the laptop's image for future purposes - eg crashes, reinstalls, etc...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Hi

If, before you take the image, you 'sysprep' it, you should be fine.

Sysprep is a utility supplied by Microsoft, that strips all individual info like the GUID, computer name IP from it. It's available on the Windows CD, and also as a download from Microsoft, I think.

What you will need to do is copy the sysprep folder from the CD to the root of the C: drive. In this folder is a file called Setupcl.exe, which is a wizard for creating a Sysprep.inf file, or an answer file. It asks about stuff like local admin credentials, whether to join to domain etc. Once this is done, it's worthwhile copying the sysprep.inf file to somewhere, so you can re-use it again. Run sysprep.exe, tick the 'reseal' checkbox, and click OK. The sysprep tool will then run, and shut down the PC.

Then, take an image, which you can push out to the other machines. When they, and the source PC start up, they go through a mini setup, where you agree to the license agreement, and specify the PC name, and then they are up and running.

For more info, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302577

This is how we deploy PC's where I work, but using RIS and Norton Ghost, and soon, using Windows Deployment Services. Its so much more efficient, especially when you are talking about deploying labs of 30 PC's at a time.

Maria

Certifications: HND Computing
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Thanks guys. I didn't think it would be a great deal.

Ken, all the laptops are the same and they'll have XP on them.

I guess I'll just install everything first, take the image, rename each laptop after putting the image on it, run the sysinternals newsid and then join it to the domain. Sounds easy.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Thanks MLP, that is also an option.

7. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

One thing to note about newsid...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897418.aspx

I had a problem with some servers I had ran newsid on previously so I now use sysprep.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

We've only just started to play around with Acronis, but I wonder if Acronis had a feature/program like Ghostwalker - it changes the sid and the PC name before it boots into Windows.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Okay, I've just been playing around with sysprep and acronis true image. One thing I have noticed (more than once) is that when you restore an image to a new disk/partition from an external USB disk acronis seems to mount the external usb disk as c:\ and remaps the drive lettering of the restored partition from C:\ to D:\.

Anyone else found this too and maybe a way around it?

10. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I personally use new sid generator for all our imaged PC's and laptops and so far so good:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  11. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

On a side note: If you have the "Universal Restore" add-on to Snap deploy, I believe it has a utility built in which can be used instead of sysprep.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT