demain login

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by new to comps, Aug 19, 2007.

1. new to comps

new to comps New Member

Can some one please help????????? I was given a comp from work because it was closing down. When i plugged it all in it asked for the username and password, i typed mine in but it now says that it could not log on because the demain is no longer available. The drop down box gives another option from the works name to a computer name but this does not work either. I have tried changing setup options but nearly killed the comp altogether. There is no way i can take it back to have the demain removed as work is now closed. Can i bypass this someway?????????????????
    My son is driving me mad to use it and i just want to throw it out of the window. :(

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Try logging in with administrator as the username and a blank password, make sure you are logging onto the PC and not the domain.

Any joy?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. g.vangemerden

g.vangemerden Bit Poster

I really have no idea how you came to this forum... :blink

Anyway, the answer is simple: you can't logon if you aren't at your work. Thats the whole idea of the server-client concept. Server at work gives permission to the clients to let someone log on...

The only solution to get this pc working, is reinstall it with a (legal) copy of windows...

BTW.. they GAVE you a machine?

EDIT: DAMN, you're right Sparky, that MIGHT be a solution.

Certifications: See signature..
    WIP: MCITP:DBA - MCITP:SA - MCIPT:EA
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

There is a way to reset the local admin password, but you'll need an XP installation disk.
    We've covered it on another thread somewhere...

8)

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

For more amusing support requests, see here

:rolleyes:

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

you cant log on to the domain from home its a completely different network.

secondly if you've taken the machine from work the o/s would have been covered by a multiple license and now that you have it at home it wont be valid. i suggest re-installing a fresh o/s.

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  7. Sparky

Might not be mate, for example it could be a Dell PC with Windows XP Pro pre-installed.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  8. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

true, we have GX620s at work but we image them because some versions are limited when it comes to networking and domains.

windows key+pause break should tell you who it's registered to and the version of windows it is.

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  9. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

You probably don't have a 'domain controller' or active directory server at home, therefore you don't have a domain. You may have a workgroup set up but thats another issue.

You need to be able to login to the local PC by changing the domain drop down, you will need the local admin password to mess with the machine. Theres ways around this because you can use a boot strap process. For example you could use a boot disk and gain access to the password file etc.

10. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

If its from home that you are trying to login to the computer, you are going to have to use a local account to get in. Like the others mentioned above, the domain only works if you are physically connected to the network at work.

When you do get a local account, you are going to specify the "Log on to" not the domain but the computer name (the computer that you are on)

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

...if you can get logged on first. :p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Also it is quite rude to ask a support question in an introduction thread, introduce yourself first, then post in the appropriate section.

Mr Grouchy signing off.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  13. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I would point out that you CAN log onto your cached domain account on the local machine without having to have a connection to the business network to do so. The only proviso is that you have to have logged onto the machine whilst it was connected to the network for your first login. So you could just take it back into work, plug it back into the network and log on.

Of course, if you want to use it properly for home use, you'll want to take it off the domain, which will require admin rights on the machine (Either local admin rights granted from the domain itself, or the machine local admin).

If you cant take it into work, ask them what they set their local admin passwords as. This will allow you to log into the machine at home with the admin account, and remove the PC from the domain.

To be honest, it seems a bit suspect to me though, since any IT company worth its salt would not only have removed the PC from the domain before handing it out to users, but would likely have formatted and reimaged the machine.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  14. Sparky

There may be a GPO which is preventing any cached logons, handy when PCs tend to ‘go missing’.

PCs can turn up anywhere, if the company has gone under then the chances are that the IT staff have left and it’s a free for all on all the IT equipment. :biggrin