delving into virtual networking.

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by greenbrucelee, Feb 26, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hopefully on Friday I will find out that I'll be able to book my A+ exams (fingers crossed) and will be going onto the N+ after I pass (fingers crossed again). I will be odering a load of books that come with trial versions of various OSs and will therefore use them in my Virtual Network.

Which do I choose out of virtual PC and VMware? and can you get full blown instructions on how to use these or is it a case of figuring it out?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Try them both and see which one you like better. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. BrotherBill

BrotherBill Byte Poster

4. greenbrucelee

cheers Bill, I'll have a look.

5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

For ease of use and setup I'd recommend Virtual PC, as I think it has a simpler interface. That said at home I use both parallels and vmware. :rolleyes:

6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Personally I would dive in to the deep end and use the superior product, VMWare Workstation 6.0
    it costs money, but nothing touches it in terms of functionality for a desktop virtualisation solution

The more questions you have the more we can answer here and benefit everyone! :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Microsoft also offer virtual machine downloads of their operating systems and applications on a trial basis (30 - 60 days or something).

You just download the vm file and the o/s is already installed for you. It's quite handy for getting to play with the new stuff if you don't have an Action pack subscription or similar.

I've never used VMware so I can't comment about that! :biggrin

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  8. greenbrucelee

money is something I don't have a lot of so I'll have to stick to the free versions

Ahh cheers I did not know that. That might prove useful :)

I am looking to use OSs such as server 2003, XP pro, Win2000 and if anyone else can suggest any others I should be running let me know.

I take it for the N+ getting those to communicate with each other and being able to share resources would be put me in good stead for the exams.

9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

err getting them to talk to each other in a virtual environment is rather moot, as long as they are set up with the same networking they will talk, not much too it really (vmware will even issue DHCP addresses to them for auto addressing)

If you cant afford VMWare Workstation go for Server, its free and almost as good, and the VMWare products can also load microsofts VHD files so you can run the downloadable VMs in VMWare products

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  10. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Did not know that! I've always meant to get hold of the free version of VMware and have a play but just haven't ever got around to it.

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  11. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I use VMWare Server which is free, but would use Virtual PC as I like the way it list the vm pc's. But and then again they both equally very roburst.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell