Dell set to cut Irish jobs

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by UKDarkstar, Jan 8, 2009.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Computer giant Dell is to cut 1,900 of the 3,000 jobs at its manufacturing site in Limerick in the Irish Republic.

Full story here

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  2. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I also see that Intel forsees a 23 percent drop in revenue.

Andrew

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Why all the grim news all of a sudden as if we don't read the news? Please, whilst I know the world is in economic downturn we don't need a constant reminder.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but what good is it to anyone? Nuff said and please look on the bright side as everything surely must come to an end and then there is the prospect of the new beginning. Now that's what I'd like to see and hear on this forum:)

Cheerio as I believe we'd get past these dark days, hold on and think positive. Please, note no offence intended, just my opinion:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I agree we don't need the "doom and gloom" and hey, in my position, trust me - I should know !

However, as a news poster I felt the item warranted a mention. I have posted elsewhere before about how recruiters are telling me there are still plenty of jobs in IT. Job losses, however, are bound to have an impact on this as more people end up chasing the jobs.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  5. steve_f

steve_f Byte Poster

Economists believe four to five Irish jobs depend on every one position at Dell.

http://www.examiner.ie/irishexamine...m=ireland-qqqa=ireland-qqqid=81557-qqqx=1.asp

This is a really big deal in Ireland. Loads of companies have Dell as their biggest or sole client.

I went to University in Limerick, seemed like every second person you met worked in dell. Lots of families had/have both parents working in Dell.

A sad day.

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA 2003+Messaging, MCITP:SA, MCSA 2008, ITIL v3 Foundation, Comptia Server+ 2009, CCA Xenapp 6.5, VCP5-DV
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA, CCSA