Dell Powerconnect Manged Switches

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Slam, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Slam

Slam Bit Poster

Hi guys,

Does anyone have any experience setting up Dell Switches? Have a few teething problems so looking for some help.

Cheers
    S

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I've installed Dell switches before, but none that required configuration...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Slam,

Can you be a bit more specific about the help you need? I take it you mean a layer 3 managed switch.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. Slam

Slam Bit Poster

Ok, we have:

Powerconnect 6248 (X2)
    Powerconnect 2724 (X6)

The servers are split and connected to the two big switches (Switch 1 and 2), the desktop machines are split between the smaller ones (Switch 3 to 8). Each small switch has been configured with a LAG, each LAG is directly connected to Switch 1 and Switch 2 is stacked using the 10Gb uplink.

Basically the only configuration that has been implemented is assigning IP addresses for web management, setting up a lag per switch, but 6 LAG's on Switch 1.

We're having a few problems... Ping's drop out, some machine's using Broadcom 57XX gig adapters seem to send millions of packets but not receive anything. The culprit machines are mostly Dell SX280's.

5. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Move to more a relevant forum. :)

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  6. BosonMichael

Jabbering NICs? What happens when you disconnect some/all of the smaller switches? Do pings clear up?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. Slam

Slam Bit Poster

Unfortunately, the switches are now in production and we can't mess about to much. We're going to phone Dell tomorrow.

8. BosonMichael

Be advised that Dell may have you do the same sort of tests. If you're worried about uptime for your clients, test at night if you're not in a 24/7 environment.