Dell Latitude 1545 flickering display

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shadowwebs, Sep 17, 2012.

1. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

Hi,

My girlfriend has a dell latitude 1545, she has had it for a number of years now and only since yesterday has the display starter to flicker.

I ran Dell Diagnostics which passed the inverter test fine so I know this is not the cause which was my first thought.

Tilting the screen backwards and forwards makes no difference and is very much an intermittent fault so at times looks perfect but then gets worse.

Diagnostics did fail on lcd cable connection. So possibly a loose connection?

I hooked it up to my external monitor and it displayed fine so is not going to be the graphics card either.

I cannot think of any further troubleshooting I could have done, is everyone agreed with me that its probably the internal cable has came loose and if this is the case, is it just a fact of taking the screws out around the screen and checking the cable?

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yes, try that first. Might need a new cable though.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

i remember when i was studying my A+ certification that there was a lot of talk about dangers opening CRT monitors due to the high voltage inside even if they had been disconnected from power for weeks... is there any risk of this with a laptop screen?

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Nope.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

As Sparky says *Nope* The reason being that LED / LCD monitors run on significantly lower (safe) voltages than the older CRT (cathode ray tube) monitors.

CRTs require an anode potential of several thousand volts and because of the aquaDAG coating on the inside and outside of a CRT, it behaves like a massive capacitor and as such, would retain a charge of those several thousand volts, when unplugged.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
    Sparky and shadowwebs like this.
  6. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

I've had laptops in for repair that suffered from similar flickering issues.

In each case, some of the fine wires that make up the screen cable had broken where the cable bends and passes through the hinge assembly.

HTH

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA