Dell laptop problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by celica_911, Aug 24, 2007.

1. celica_911

celica_911 New Member

I have a dell inspiron 1150 and when I press the start button the laptop fan starts then stops after a second and leaves just the power light flashing. Can anyone help me.
    I contacted a firm in London and they said if I paid 25 pounds carraige to send it to then they would give me an estimate of cost.

2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

are you talking about the power on button or the start button in windows? can you also give us more details please and we will gladly help! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

On the face of it - it sounds like a dead battery.

But more details would help to get a more accurate diagnosis.

And, BTW, welcome to CF!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. celica_911

celica_911 New Member

I plug the power supply into the laptop and the power supply has the green light on. I press the start button next to the laptop screen to switch the computer on the green power light comes and the hard drive light flashes once on at the front of the computer the fan starts and stops within a second. then nothing else happens.

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Sounds like a problem with the battery, is it still under warranty? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Does it do this when the laptop is plugged directly to the lappy etc ??

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Or the charging mechanism.

First thing I'd do is check the voltage of the battery, and also that there is the correct voltage on the power plug that plugs into the laptop.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

Take the battery out.

Plug it into the mains, give it a sec and then press the power button.

See what happens after that.

9. ManicMonkey

ManicMonkey Kilobyte Poster

Try taking the battery out of the laptop, then with the mains adapter plugged in turn it on.
    If you get the same response its not the battery thats at fault, if it boots up further then it may very well be the battery.

What type of laptop is it? (mines an inspiron 9100 so thats what im using for referance)

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: Exchange, Share point - MOM as well
  10. ManicMonkey

ManicMonkey Kilobyte Poster

dam you hippy :p

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: Exchange, Share point - MOM as well
  11. mtd29

mtd29 New Member

Hi, I've got a similar problem, I've got a latitude D500. I'll be using my laptop the the mouse freezes, the only way to get it back is to turn the laptop off. Then when I press the power button, the hd, power and batt light come on for about 3 seconds then turn off and nothing happens. I've tried it with the battery removed and the laptop plugged into the mains supply but the same thing happens, but if I leave it about an hour the the thing will start up ok, but eventually the mouse will freeze up and I have to go through the whole thing again. I've ran McAfee and there's no viruses on the machine that would cause the mouse to freeze up or the thing to not power up. Any help will be greatly appreciated

Martin

12. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Has your pc been hibernating a lot recently?

Only reason I ask is if the AC Adapter is on its way out your battery will not have been charging, and as the battery gets lower it will probably try to hibernate (unless you have this disabled).

Do as suggested above. If you have access to them, try replacing the battery, ac adapter, and powering up with and without the battery in place. You should be able to get a little closer to the problem.

HTH 8)

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  13. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

What sort of mouse is it? Wired/cordless, optical/trackball?

Does it do this with the mouse unplugged?

Admin: Maybe worth starting a new thread with this question?

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  14. mtd29

mtd29 New Member

The mouse is the factory fitted one that comes with the laptop so it's a touch pad mouse I guess wired into the motherboard?? Not sure. I've tried powering the laptop with battery removed and it works fine until it gets powered off, then it takes ages to restart. I leave it for an hour and it works first time, so maybe something is on the way out, overheating etc and it needs time to cool down? It's very frustrating, so thanks for replying and feel free to continue!!

Cheers

Martin

15. DELLSICK

DELLSICK New Member

Hi I have exactly the same problems, but have checked it's not the battery as I get the same cutting out when trying to power up from the mains, without the battery in. I do however find that on the odd occasion the laptop will power up and stay on, but as soon as I attempt to pick it up it just shuts off. This happens with or without battery in. I have noticed that if I squeeze the casing around the area where the modem is situated (access cover underneath to the side of machine) the power will sometimes cut back in but the screen then will not come back on. I have removed and then put back the modem chip but this has made no difference and even tried to start it without that modem chip in - but to no avail. This has all the symptoms of no power getting through or a short of some sort but I'm no expert. I really would like to try to fix this as the laptop has really had little use though it is 3 years old now.

16. emz77

emz77 New Member

Hi, i also have a inspiron 1150 and am having similar problems, when the charger is plugged in i cannot boot my laptop as it just comes up with a black screen and cursor flashing, also if i am already up and running and plug the charger in the whole laptop freezes and i have to reboot without the ac adapter plugged in.
    I have taken the battery out and tried to turn it on running just off ac power but the same happens, just black screen and cursor. For a while i was running XP off my lappy quite happily then i went to format it and when it got to a certain point with 34 mins remaning (installing devices) it froze and would not complete installation, 2000 has installed and works ok if my battery is charged before hand. I did orignally think it was the charger at fault but then I thought with XP not installing it could possibly b the battery (freezing when tryin to install batt) so im a little confused with all this, any help would b appriciated sooooooo much.

Thanks Emz

17. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Probably not the right place to ask this - this forum is intended to help those seeking advice about computer certifications, not assistance with hardware problems. You would be better off asking in the Dell forums - there are probably hundreds of similar posts in there.

FWIW, I would guess there is a short in the switching internally. There are some internal components that control switching between A/C and battery power - I've seen laptops die because of this before. You'll probably have to take it to a repair shop - it'll probably be the circuits controlling protection against incorrect voltage that need replacing. You are using the correct adapter, right?

PS: Way to resurrect an old thread!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  18. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

WIP: LIFE