Dell Dimension 5150

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by itbookham, Dec 19, 2007.

1. itbookham

itbookham Nibble Poster

Hi, I installed a new SATA drive and then installed the operating system (Windows XP). Unfortunately, even though I specified to format the whole drive as one partition, it allocated a drive letter H: , rather than C: . Any ideas how I can reinstall the OS with the correct drive letter (C:) There is only one hard drive fitted in the computer. Many thanks.

WIP: A+
  2. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

Try this 8)

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  3. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Can you not change the drive letter in disk management?

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  4. itbookham

itbookham Nibble Poster

Hi, thanks for the response and suggestion. I checked out the Microsoft notes. If I reassign the drive letter from H: to C: will this cause problems with any programs that have been installed, as they would have been installed to the H drive?

5. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

I don't think so, but you can always uninstall/reinstall if it does. You say it's a fresh installation - do you have any important data on there yet? If so back it up before you start! 8)

6. itbookham

itbookham Nibble Poster

Hi,

No it is basically a clean install of XP, no critical data. As you say, if it doesn't work I can always reinstall, but will it try to allocate the H drive again? I thought that the OS install would always allocate a new drive as C: ?

7. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

Sorry mate, I meant uninstall/reinstall the programs, not XP! :biggrin

8. madman045

madman045 Kilobyte Poster

I dont suppose your Dell PC has a card reader in it? if it does, go into the bios and turn it off, then install windows, as the reader is treated as fixed devices and therefore windows see's C, D etc.. already allocated.

Had the same issue with the Dimension 3100 sitting behind me

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, PRINCE2 Foundation, VCA-DCV & VCA-DT
    WIP: MCSA 2008, VCP5-DCV, ITIL V3
  9. itbookham

itbookham Nibble Poster

Hi, yes it does have a card reader. I will disable it in BIOS and try again. Thanks.

10. itbookham

itbookham Nibble Poster

Thanks for all the feedback. It has been most helpful. The new hard drive is installed with a clean operating system. Although I cannot seem to get the card reader on line again? It is not showing in Device Manager or as drive in My Computer?

11. madman045

madman045 Kilobyte Poster

If its enabled in the bios again, windows should allocate the relevant ports a drive letter, if they show as question marks (which doesn't usually happen) there might be something on the dell site for your model.

Andy

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, PRINCE2 Foundation, VCA-DCV & VCA-DT
    WIP: MCSA 2008, VCP5-DCV, ITIL V3