"Deleted" contacts problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by nugget, Feb 14, 2008.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I have a user that 'deleted' all her contacts from her address book (local, outlook 2007). She originally tried to rename the address book to reflect the contents (business addresses) and then the contacts disappeared. She then renamed it back to the original name Contacts and the contacts reappeared, at least locally. Now when she opens the address book in outlook, navigates to which address book she wants to look at, chooses contacts from the outlook address book (not the global address list, exchange 2007) ther are no contacts showing, it's empty.

Anyone had something similar happen? I've tried deleting and importing the contacts again but nothing happened.

Update: as I was writing this the lady just called and informed me that ALL her contacts have no email addresses. Could this be the reason they don't show in the address list, and what could cause all the contacts email addresses to be removed and the rest of the information to be kept?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Are they still in the deleted items folder?
    If not, if you select the deleted items folder and then click on the Tools menu and select 'Recover deleted items' you may be able to retrieve them. Although the latter depends on the Exchange server config.

HTH
    NB :D

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Thanks for the help. It seems that she didn't really delete the contacts. She tried to rename the contacts address book to something else and then the contacts disappeared. Then after renaming the address book back to contacts the contacts reappeared, at least in the outlook address book. Somewhere in the process all the email addresses were deleted from the contacts (the rest of the data is still there :scratch ) which 'removed' them from sight when you click on the address book icon. When she added some email address back in to the contacts they reappeared in the address book (make sense??).

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685