delete windows

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mr.Cheeks, Nov 18, 2006.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

im gonna be slight vague here, but question is how do i delete windows.

i have a dual boot system (win 2k3 server + xppro) both on c drive.

xp pro directory is winxp
    2k3 directory is windows

when im logged into xp and trying deleting the windows dir (for 2k3) i cant delete it as some files are in use.

how can i do this. i've only got 300mbs left on c:

2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Firstly, it's not recommended to dual boot more than one OS from the same partition but it works, so don't lose sleep over it.

You might be able to delete the 2K3 Windows directory if you boot into safe mode in XP, at least it's worth a try.

Otherwise boot from BartPE or similar and delete it.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Seriously why the heck did you install the 2 on one partition?? :blink I got a crazy idea here but download a ubuntu live cd or any other live cd distro... pop that live cd ( i never used a live cd before :oops: :oops: ) so give it a try... if you can see your NTFS folders on the linux (and i got a feeling u will) try delete it! :biggrin

i think this is the reason why ms say dont install 2 OS's on the same partition! :twisted:

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

In my experience it is very likely in this situation that if you delete one OS *something* will be hosed on the other OS. :ohmy

This is why doing a dual boot like this is not advised!

The best way out is to back up all the stuff you need, and wipe and just install the OS you want. Another way is to add another drive, and move a lot of your data, and the swap file, to that drive.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Mr.Cheeks

hmmm, cheers for the input, looks like im format the drive and start again...

never knew the it was *not* recommended to dual boot on the same drive.

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Harry, I have done parallel installs on the same partition as well as dual boots, quite a few times and deleted the unwanted windows version without problems. In this scenario, my question is this, what files needed by XP, would be stored in the server 2003 folder or sub-folders? Or in other words, as far as I know, all the necessary files for XP to operate are either in the XP Windows folder/sub folders (in this case WinXP) or in the root (swap/boot files etc). So, I can't understand how deleting a different folder would cause XP to be hosed or am I missing something?

Pete

7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

It's not so much that you shouldn't dual boot from 2 OSes on the same hard drive...it's not recommended that you dual boot 2 OSes on the same *partition* of the hard drive. If you create two partitions (C and D for example) install XP on C and 2K3 on the other. You probably won't experience a situation where XP needs anything from 2K3 in that situation.

I agree that the most straightforward way to proceed now is to backup any data you need from XP (and 2K3 for that matter), hose the installs and reinstall. It's best if you keep a lab machine that is separate from your "production" box. That way you always have a computer for personal use and a separate box to play with. You can install, blow away, and reinstall operating systems to your heart's content and not have to worry about potentially losing your work on the other computer.

Here are links to tutorials on hard drive partitioning if you need them:

http://fdisk.radified.com/

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/file/structPartitions-c.html

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial116.html

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Might be worth booting into 'safe mode' in Windows XP and then try to delete the server folder. Back up everything before though. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

My reasons for worrying about this are as follows:

If both OSes are on the same partition it is possible that some apps will put their DLLs into the wrong windows directory. I agree that M$ stuff is less likely to do this, but it is not a risk I'm prepared to take.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Thanks Harry, good point!

11. Mr.Cheeks

Thats what i've done, so there isn't anything i need to back up, still haven't sorted it out yet.