degree or no degree?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by PAT, Sep 28, 2006.

1. PAT

PAT Banned

How many of you guys have IT degrees or are working towards one. Did it help you get a job in the computer industry or was it certs and experience. I’ve just started one and I’m not enjoying it, is it really worth doing. I am thinking of doing MCSE instead what would you do? Thanks :)

2. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Take it from a 30-something without an undergraduate degree -- get one if you can. If you don't, and *had* the ability to, chances are there'll be a period in your life where you wished you had. Trust me.

However, don't think you can't have a successfull career in IT without a degree. Many can, and have -- particularly if they are comfortable in the trenches. If you aspire to a management position, or higher, then it *may* be the difference between you and the 'other' guy.

For me, I know I've been passed over for a job because of this. I *have* an MCSE, as did the other people, but they devalued my Associate's degree and went with the other folks. Again, there's plenty of time to get your MCSE (or any other cert) later. Actually, there really is no reason you couldn't work towards both, provided you have the desire to do so.

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  3. rockstar6181

rockstar6181 Byte Poster

id stick it out if I where in your shoes.IMO I think degrees are pretty overated now days due to the lack of direct skills which can be applied from a degree to the real world HOWEVER degrees can be used as a bench mark and somewhere down the line you might come up against someone who has all same certs/expirence as you but he pips you for the job based on fact he has degrees also some jobs ask for a degree as a way of routing looking for people of a certian level.

Certifications: A/N+ MCSA 2003
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I agree its good to have a degree, but to be honest I doubt that it is necessary to have inorder to have a successful job.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

You have only just started, what is it that you don't like about what you are doing?

A degree hasn't helped me get a job, but I really enjoyed doing my Foundation Degree, so much so that I'm back this year for a top
    up.

Learning the technologies and studying is the same regardless of whether it is for a degree or a cert, the same principles apply, know the material.

Employers look for a commitment, now that commitment may be through certs, but something which I have always tried to put in my favour for doing a degree is that you could simply bd a cert, threres no way you can cheat your way through a degree.

8)

6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

The industrys doing a bit of a 180 but the unis have yet to catch up, IT is not just about tech anymore (it never really was but you could land a job with just tech skills), an IT career involves many different roles and responsibilities, and a wide variety of these can be picked up on a degree course (communication, documentation, project management skills, etc) you can get by without one, but it wont hurt to have one (it also won't guarantee you a job on its own)

I currently dont have a degree but am undertaking a Master of Science
    Good luck with whatever you chose :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

I am mid 40's, mid B Eng (hons) with the OU and wished I had done it years ago. I have a great IT job that I love. A degree would not have helped get.

8. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

If your not enjoying it mate - the degree then change it now before it's too late!8)

I have done a degree too. I found it hard but the social life was excellent, it's definitly worth doing for the experience, but if your hearts not in it. Then you will have no motivation to do the work and probably fail or come out with a crap mark.

Having a degree doesn't mean that you will get the job!
    Having work experience and showing you have studied the Certification in your spare time might!

It show's employers your commited, time management skills, doing certs and holding down a full time job.

What ever you decide good luck:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  9. Subtle

Subtle New Member

I graduated in June with a 2:1 in computer science from a good university.

I haven't been able to get the kind of job I expected as every employer wants "at least 2 years commercial experience".

Certifications: BSc Computer Science
    WIP: A+
  10. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I have a BSc in Computing and while it didn't get me a job in IT (as I was already in the field), I believe that the degree combined with my MCSE assisted me in climbing the ladder. Manager today, tomorrow world domination.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I don't have a degree but from what I have read, they make you a rounder person. It's probably something to do with all the junk food and beer drinking :D

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  12. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I don't have a degree either and I'm a "rounder" person :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009