Degree or equivalent?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by IT2009, Dec 17, 2009.

1. IT2009

IT2009 Byte Poster

Degree qualification (2:1 and above preferred) or equivalent (a degree in Computer Science is NOT essential).

This is friom advert I came across. What can equivalent be?
    Can HND and 2 MCP be equivalent or not? Tragedy is i don't have experience yet.
    Thanks!

Certifications: MCP, HND Business Information Systems
    WIP: A+
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

It will more than likely be a relevant higher level qualifiction - E.G HND/C in Computing.

Only one way to find out though, ask.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

Ask the question, no harm done. Long as you can justify it i think it will be ok, i had to explain i was studying towards a degree etc and they let me apply and got interview :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  4. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Theres some qualification framework on a government website somewhere. NVQ level 5 I think.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I am going to answer purely on a qualification stand-point.

This can be several things:

NVQ 4, GCGI, a Postgrad DMS (as it sits on NQF 7 it is a higher level qualification than a degree - not to be confused with the level 5 DMS), any Master's degree, Professional Graduate Diploma in IT (from the BCS), etc...

No, the HND sits on level I of the FHEQ (comparable to NQF level 5) while a Degree sits on level H of the FHEQ (comparable to NQF level 6). So far the highest NQF level the MS certs have reached was level 4 and that was for a full MCSE.

Well the NVQ 5 is comparable to a Masters degree, what alot of people don't know is that the NVQ's are still assessed against the pre-2006 NQF scale and not the current post-2006 NQF scales.

See here.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. alsy

alsy Bit Poster

The last few posts that I've advertised for, I've stated 'degree or equivalent', however I've interviewed and given job offers to non graduates based on other qualifications, experience or even just down to attitude and how they come across in an interview.

There's no harm in applying for the post(s) if it says that. If you get an interview, then you've obviously said the right things on your application that's interested them enough to get you in for a further chat.

Certifications: MCNE, CNE5&6, MCSA, N+, Project+, ITILv2
    WIP: MCSE2K3
  7. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Thats a good point. The fact that it says Degree OR Equivalent indicates to me its not set in stone that you need a degree or specific certs it would say "Must have". Its more a general way to say "if you have no qualifications or certs, don't bother IMO

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
    Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs