Degree and Certification?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by jitesh_83, May 16, 2007.

1. jitesh_83

jitesh_83 New Member

Firstly hello to everyone!
    I've been browsing the forum for the last hour, which has left me more confused than when I started. Heres where am stuck:

I have a degree in Computer Science attaining a 1st in 2005. After graduation I took a job as a php/mysql developer but unfortunately everything has gone downhill ever since. I haven't gained many skills in my 20 months after finishing university and feel my skillset is kind of out-dated!

Having looked for jobs and been on a few interviews I feel I lack the technical skills needed to be where I want to be. I've decided I need to brush up and am thinking about doing the MCSD course with Computeach.

The cost is £3200 and they GUARANTEED a job after the course. Obviously I need to take that statement with a pinch of salt! But I feel I'd be more able, and confident, to get a job afterwards anyway.

Is it worth me taking the MCSD even though I have a degree?

The cost isn't a massive issue as I feel its an investment into myself which will hopefully pay off down the line.

People on here have had their ups and downs with Computeach but speaking to the person on the phone they don't seem too bad. Also what timescale would I be looking at? The sales rep said about 9-12 months, but since I have a IT background am hoping to finish within 6-8months.

Thanks for all the help!

2. GW

GW Byte Poster

Let's put it this way, I have a Masters degree in Information Security and I just started a school a bit ver a month ago for my MCSE.

Having a degree doesn't seem t be worth too much these days unless you have industry certifications to back it up. Wish it wasn't so since my job barely pays enough to cver my bills and my student loans.

GW

Certifications: MCP x4, CompTia x3
    WIP: Cisco CCNA
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Nobody can guarantee you a job unless they've got a job to give you themselves. Even if they do get you a job, consider this - they can give you a job in any location making any salary working whatever hours they want you to work doing whatever tasks they want you to do... and they've fulfilled their "commitment" to you.

Degrees give you an edge over your competition, all else being equal. Similarly, certifications give you an edge over your competition, all else being equal. So both degrees AND certifications are useful. But keep in mind that employers want someone who can do the job... thus, someone with experience will typically win out over someone with degrees and certifications, but far less experience. Again, I think certifications are great... but they're not a guaranteed way to get a job.

For the record, I've also got a degree. My certifications and my degree have both been helpful in getting jobs.

You don't have to go to a training course to get the MCSD. I'd highly recommend self-study methods, as that's what I've done for ALL of my certifications.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Personally i think it depends on the individual. I passed my A+ and N+ with a computer training school(wont say which one). Sure i passed my courses, but i wish i had just picked up self study guides such as mike myers to learn my certification's. It's about £2000 cheaper in the long run. I suppose it also has a lot to do in your own confidence to leanr on your own. It cheaper, and if you get stuck there's always this website..... These guys are much quicker to respond than a training school. Trust me i know!!

If you feel you have enough resources to go with computeach and do it that way. Thats fine, As michael said.... Degrees and certification's appear to be nothing if you dont have the relative experience. Voluntary work is always a good thing to do to gain more experience. Sure you wont get any wages for doing it, But it sure shows ambition on a CV if you are willing to learn without getting paid.

Craig

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: Thinking of MCDST
  5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Im a bit of the opposite.. i got my certs ( well some of them) and im heading back to uni for my second year this Sept. You degree will always be outdated because IT is always changing so the best way is to stay current with certifications.

As for your other question - dont rush certs cause in the end its not the paper that counts but the knowledge gained to show you deserve that paper.

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I try and keep a healthy balance.

It's all about not putting all your eggs in one basket.

:eggface

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I'd consider uping your job search.

If you really want a few certs and have the cash I'd opt for a bootcamp. If you have a 1st at degree level you should be able to ace a bootcamp !

http://www.koenig-solutions.com/tra...eId=21&CityName=Delhi&hStatus=Budget+Hotel&k=

Theres never any guarantees, IT hasn't been an easy ride as far as I know since the late eighties / early ninetees, even then you still had to be good !

Development is a niche profession, it is also highly cyclic, much more so than support. Think about it, when the IT budget is tight do you install new systems or make do with what you have? IT support and support programmers may keep their jobs but many developers won't. You may have to move, retrain, take pay cuts etc. This can apply to both start and keep your career alive.

8. Indo77

Indo77 Nibble Poster

I have a degree but it is a crap mark so I really do have to go the cert route. From real world experience, my degree was pretty useless. Who writes a 10,000 technical documentation when building a website? Our company doesn't.

Certifications: BSc (Hons) HNC