Definitely a problem of the day

Discussion in 'Software' started by Theprof, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hey everyone.

I have a laptop at work where for some reason the minute I connect it to the network at work, it becomes extremely slow at opening basically anything, from files to folders to applications, etc.

Here's what I've done today to try and fix it:

1. Run a virus check with the latest updates
    2. Reinstalled the latest version of NIC drivers
    3. Reinstalled IE7 (at that moment IE was worse then all the other apps)
    4. Uninstalled the VPN software
    5. Uninstalled all the IE tool bar stuff.
    6. Did a system restore to a few days back when everything was working.
    7. I approved updates last week and thought that it could be an update issue but I removed the new updates, problem still persists.
    8. Reset the TCP/IP stack
    9. Finally did a repair of windows by reinstalling(not a full format but just the repair version of reinstalling windows.)

It seems to be running just a little faster but its still not good. I am also able to boot into safe mode and everything works fast. I haven't tried safe mode with networking though which speaking of it now I forgot to try.

The user has a couple of SQL applications, I stopped the SQL services in the mean time and nothing really helped.

Right now I am just stumped with this problem, my colleague can't figure it out either. If someone has come across something like this before and knows how to fix this or someone who has other suggestions I would greatly appreciate.

I spent the whole day today trying to fix this thing, done research and could not find anything. The only thing I found is trying to go into folder options -> view -> and taking off "automatically search for network folders and printers" from this article here

If there's nothing else I would have to reformat and reinstall everything which would take around 2 days of work since those SQL applications take a while to install.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

only extra thing i can think of is that it may be a profile issue? Tried resetting it?

3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Few suggestions..

*Are the settings correct for the network card? For example does the network card have the correct DNS server and is it getting a lease from the DHCP server correctly?
    *If you boot in safe mode with networking support do you get the same issue?
    *How is the virtual memory configured.
    *Low disk space?
    *Anything unusual in task manager?
    *Any shortcuts to mapped drives\resouces that no longer exist?
    *Run netstat at the command line, anything listening on a strange port?
    *Following on from Cheeks post do you get the same issue if you log in with a different user account?
    *Lastly if you log on locally to the laptop and patch into the network do you get the same issue?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Prof

I had this problem a while back. I installed some new software which slowed the machine to a crawl whenever I accessed network resources. I actually ended up removing it completely and it worked like a dream. :twisted:

If that's not the issue for you, then you might try doing things like:
    Turning off Desktop Search (if its been enabled)
    Disconnecting any mapped drives (especially persistent mappings that still might exist to no-longer-available resources, perhaps in a logon script somewhere?)
    Deleting any shortcuts to network locations (seriously, I once had a laptop come to me with the same problems you're experiencing - I eventually opened up My network Places and there were a gazillion shortcuts in there - vaped them all and rebooted - problem solved)
    Disable the AV software or examine scheduled scans and see if they're causing a problem
    Run RSOP to see what group policies are being applied and check them out

See if any of those work for ya!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

LOL - I was going to suggest netstat -an, but ya beat me to it!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Guys thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. Unfortunately have not had a chance in troubleshooting the laptop today. The user will be getting a new laptop in about a week and doesn't really want to waste anymore time troubleshooting so I'll play around with it when I have it all to my self next week. I've noticed that there are quite a few posts around on the web about this type of issue and no resolution so it would be interesting to see what the issue is if I can figure it out.

Thanks again.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  7. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

could it be a faulty network card in the machine ?

is it wireless or wired ?

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  8. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

This is an update. Ironically everything is back to normal now. Here's what happened. Like I said before I ended up doing repair of the os by reinstalling over the previous install of windows, kind of like an upgrade which kept all the applications installed, then I perfomed an update of windows updates I pushed through WSUS and everything is back to normal now.

I am thinking there must of been some corrupt update that caused this and when I repaired windows, since it overwrote the system files with the original ones it must of fixed what ever the issue was.

Go figure.

If this happens to anyone else, if after toubleshooting still no go, try repairing windows by doing the reinstall of the OS it will keep the original applications installed. Note, make sure you make an image of the OS at it's current state just in case if you do a repair by reinstalling, some apps might not work, in my case everything is fine, but there may be issues.