Default settings for printers via TS

Discussion in 'Software' started by oztrailrider, Apr 24, 2009.

1. oztrailrider

oztrailrider Nibble Poster

Hi all, I am after a little bit of help with an issue that is occurring on the network of a client of mine.

The clients have a workgroup network (XP Pro machines) in their local office that has a network printer connected via an IP port and is shared via their local server machine (also XP Pro). All the client machines are configured to use the shared network printer.

They also use remote desktop to connect to a Win 2k3 TS box that is off site and is also a domain controller. They map their local printer to their terminal services sessions via remote desktop. Now the problem is that the default printer settings can be configured normally on the local network, but cannot be set for use in their terminal services sessions. They simply want to set the printer to print black rather than color however there does not seem to be any way to get the settings to stick, it is not even possible to modify the default settings for their printer - everything is greyed out.

Any idea what might be going on here?.

Certifications: MCP (70-270)
    WIP: A+
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Try installing the printer on the TS and then connect to the TS without bringing the printer into the TS session, then try editing the printer settings. You may have to edit the security permissions on the printer to allow the users to do this.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. oztrailrider

I had to visit the client again yesterday and tried that. No good :(. It's got me stumped what is causing it.

4. Sparky

If you log onto the TS locally can you change the printer settings?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. oztrailrider

TS is off-site about 1500km north. I may have to get someone up there to go and try it out for me.

6. Sparky

If you can get a VPN connection to the site you could install VNC and log in that way, that should give you an idea to how the printer can be configured if you were to log in locally.