Decisions to be made

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by djw, Apr 19, 2010.

1. djw

djw Nibble Poster

I have a couple of questions:

I currently work for a small company and everything IT/IT infrastructure is my responsibility (desktop & laptop support & builds/server support & builds/blackberry support & admin/AD Admin/Exchange Admin/Phone support & Admin/licensing/purchasing/firewall/AV etc. etc.). I like the role as I am exposed to alot of technology (if not always the most up to date) and I am pretty much my own boss. However, I have been in the role a while now and as it is a small company there no potential progression, also the salary is not great and it is a 60 mile round trip.
    I have been going through the interview process for a job which is predominately desktop support. The pro's that I can see for the role is that the salary is higher, it is 10 minutes down the road, and they are a big company with better possible progression. However, looking at the role I would lose alot of the responsibility, especially on the admin side of things.

The questions are:
    1) Generally interested what people would think would be a salary they would accept for the current job that I do (it is based 30 mins west of London)?
    2) Is it worth taking a hit on responsibilities & tech exposure for possible better career progression in a bigger company?

(Not looking for people to tell me whether to take job or not - if offered to me - just wondering what people thoughts are)

Thanks in advance for the advice.

D

Certifications: A+, MCDST
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Being from the US, I can't give you any useful info regarding question 1. However, with regards to question 2, I do have some input. In my time in IT, I've seen that most people don't progress within a single company... those who do will typically get a promotion to the senior-level of whatever they're doing. Most people tend to build up experience at one company, then find a better job at another company, then repeat the cycle... build experience, switch employers, build experience, switch employers.

That doesn't mean that you CAN'T work your way up the IT career ladder in a single company. In those cases where I've seen it happen, it's usually in larger corporations.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. djw

djw Nibble Poster

Thanks for the response. The possible new job is with a big multi-national company.
    Maybe looks like losing a tech exposure and responsibility may not be the best thing. It may be a step back as I would not be looking after half the stuff I currently do, and a backwards step might not be worth it for possible career progression.

D

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you would have to take a step backwards in responsibility, I would agree that it might not be the best move. I'd recommend gaining as much experience there as you can, then later finding a job elsewhere to take that "next step".

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Working for a multinational company isn't always good as you pointed out you will loose a lot of power that you have at the small company. I work and have worked for a couple of multinational companies and was always frustrated that the more I get paid the less I seem to do. Write a pros and cons list and go from there as only you will be able to say if it's a good move or not. Saying that you will be stuck at your salary level, tech exposure if you stay.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
    Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  6. djw

djw Nibble Poster

Thanks for the advise. I do like my current role, however the not great salary coupled with no increase in last 3 years, travelling costs etc. is starting to be a bit of an issue now. Can't stay here forever but would need to decide if I would go a bit mad not being able to do what I do now if offered this new job. Hmmm, decisions, decisions - why are some so hard :D

D

7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

This varies, tbh there is no standard salary, especially in this climate. There could be up to a £0k-£20k pay difference between companies, depending on roles, responsibilities, etc...

That is only part of the question...

I could leave my current employment and earn £20k more, however I wouldn't have the flexiblity that I currently have, especially with a young family.

Will you be happy/happier being a small fish in an ocean or a big fish in a little pond (personally I don't mind)?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. djw

djw Nibble Poster

Forgot that I had started this thread - though I would give an update. In the end there was no decision to be made, after 2 telephone interviews and a face to face I was not offered the position. Oh well, maybe was for the best - onto the next one.

Thanks,

D

9. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Oh well, you know what they say "nothing ventured, nothing gained" :)

Better luck next time.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security