decisions, decisions!!!

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by G1BB0, Oct 13, 2006.

1. G1BB0

G1BB0 Nibble Poster

I need some advice before i drive myself insane and end up with severe brain drain!!

I am currently working in IT (I use this term looseley) for Fujitsu as a customer service tech (basic helpdesk, server admin/backups and using vnc/remote access etc etc)

I have to say that my biggest enjoyment is hardware and systems troubleshooting and have to say that my current role is gaining me sweet FA except for industry experience on my CV

I am not learning anything within the role and progression is V slow.

Sooooo I am going to embark on self study, I currently have more ebooks than i can shake a stick at and am debating on doing MCSE server 2003, starting with the 70/270 and upto about 65% mark on the transcender (just need to lick permissions and a bit of printing)

what I want to know is whats the best way to embark on this route? I have vmware installed with server2003 (domain controller, ad etc setup and another one for file/print/mail server whichever i choose)

should i do the A+ & Network+ 1st, I feel I could attain these fairly quickly with a bit of extra study and revision or should i just continue as I am. The reason I ask is that I need to move job asap as a) the money is crap b) the lack of progression and ability to learn anything new

I am 34 btw with 3 kids hence my need to earn more, I took a 6k pay cut to enter IT and have been in current role for 12 months but desperately need to move forward, yes money is the motivator but I also enjoy IT and learning new things.

sorry if this posts a bit long winded but I see jobs advertised that ask for a plethora of quals and experience that seem totally unrealistic unless you have about 10 years experience and no life!!!

WIP: N+ & CCNA
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Others may disagree, but as you are already <in> the field, i wouldn't worry about taking the A+ and Network + exams.
    I would however buy both books and make sure you understand the material.
    This knowledge you gain will be a good grounding for your MCSE studies.

Best of luck :thumbleft

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. G1BB0

G1BB0 Nibble Poster

I also wanted to add (after reading a few other threads i hasten to add) that i dont expect just to waltz into a job on uber money straight away and whatever theory i learn (from numerous sources) I also WILL back up with as much hands on as is possible.

and thanks for the heads up with regards A+ etc... I think I will probably just carry on as i am

plan to sit 70-270 before xmas.

I dont plan changing jobs immediately but have set myself 12 months to gain as many quals as poss and as much practical knowledge as i can to hopefully set my CV above others that are applying for positions I go for.. plus my charismatic personality of course ;)

WIP: N+ & CCNA