Decision time..... Advice!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by mattwest, May 22, 2007.

1. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Hi guys,

I've been pondering my next career move for some time now and i'm having a hard time deciding what to do. I'm 26 and i've been in IT full time for 8 years. I've managed to rack up some great experiences in the private and public sectors, the certs you can see in my signature and improved my business and management skills.

I'm torn......

One part of me says Matt your 26, you earn 22k a year and you've worked so hard to develop yourself that with your skill set and aptitude its time to move on.... join a big company with a good position and start to earn 35k or more a year. Even if that means commuting for 30 to 60 mins a day or making a move towards a bigger city. House prices arent getting any cheaper and your getting itchy feet at your current job.

However another part of me says Matt your only 26, you have 40 years more left in work and your employer is putting you through CISSP training and the 4 course for the CCNP over the next 12 months. Stay, get the training and move on next year for potentially more money and an even better job. There's no rush and Cisco networking is your weaker skill set.

So guys what would you do?

I'm seriously not complaining about the training i've had and am due to go on (its amazing and the reason i stay :D ) but i set such high standards for myself, i just feel like i should be moving on as i'm hardly setting the world on fire where i am. (Also whats the point of training if you dont use it to move onwards and upwards?!)

So do i do the CISSP training in July and move on in the summer or stay for another year and go on the CCNP courses and possibly certifiy in the CCNP?

(The first CCNP course is booked late August)

Any advice!?! :rolleyes:

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

The first thing I would ask myself is "What would I really really like to do right now?"

That's what I asked myself when I decided to knock chasing an IT career on the head. Sure I want and need the money, but in the long run, do what is going to make you happy :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Howdy Matt,

Just my two cents worth - but I would stay put as not many employers would put staff through this level of training.

This is despite having really good certs for one still very young! -most impressive btw!!

- Have you got any pay rises out of them yet?
    Note there is a method to doing this successfully...:biggrin

Stay put and absolutely maximise your training then go out in 18 months or so...as a state of the art tech and in front of the pack.

Otherwise you could risk not ever get those two certs and just be another player for a postion later on down the track.

At the very least a new role should cover those two certs if you go real soon.

Basically money is NOT everything.

Also I hate commuting myself..:twisted:

supag33k

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I don't think I know anyone that likes commuting, if it were commuting to the countryside, then I wouldn't mind :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Althought I agree that not many companies will be this good on the training side of things, I cant help but think that for the amount of experience you have, along with the long list of certs, 22K seems very low. I know your not in London, but it just seems so low to me? Maybe im wrong.

Im currently on 21,500 and have 5 courses booked for the year ahead, all paid for by the company. Thats not in central London, its just outside on the South East side. I only have 1 years experience and started my IT life in this company.

Maybe I have it really good, or maybe you have it rather bad? Im not sure.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  6. delboy

delboy Bit Poster

I must say I agree with the comment above. 22K for someone who has 8 years experience is a very low salary even though its outside central.

I know of guys working for a different ISP to what im working at and they are getting 21k for 1st line technical support over the phone. And that is outside central.

So Im thinking your wage of 22k is way below what you should be aiming for.

I was always under the impression that usually expereince counts more than certs. What experience have you gained over these 8 years? Did you start right at the bottom and stay there for a good few years before moving on?

7. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Thats the dillema i have..... 22k is enough to get me by (i also have a second job in a nightclub which brings in extra cash)....

But like i said its not exactly setting the world on fire. I know if i was in London i could make a killing. However in my career the job itself has always meant more than the money.

I'm aiming for IT management in the future so trying to get a solid foundation. Do i leave for more money now.... or train and get the CCNP and possibly open up more opportunities in the future? But at the cost of another year in the same job.........hmmmmmmmm :rolleyes: :blink

(Although i will admit its a good dillema! :D )

--

In reply to above i helped out at my school for 2 years during A Level's in the IT department and then i took over as ICT Network Manager for 3 and half years doing eveything from 1st to 3rd line and some management (budgets etc). Then worked for a payroll company for 2 years doing mainly second line work..... then onto a District Council where i am now.... 2 and half years as a 3rd Line ICT Tech.

Ive made the role my own, deal with all the penetration tests, 80% of the new systems and most of the major system upgrades. In return i get excellent training.

To be honest for my area i have one of the best IT jobs.... only better i could do is my supervisors role on 30K as senior tech.... but in councils someone usually has to die for you to get promoted.... hence why i'm considering commuting to the bigger cities or even moving away.

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Never take a job just for the money. I know it sounds appealing, but as you seem to be pointing out, there are other factors involved. Not that making more money is a bad thing, but given everything else, is it really worth it to make the move at this time? If it is...do it and suck it up as far as the commute and so on. If not, stay put, get additional training and bide your time until you can leverage it to get a job that's the next rung up the ladder for you.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

You'd be surprised what gets classed as 'enough' outside London. :dry

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Matt, you're only 26, you have 40 years more left in work ,and your employer is putting you through CISSP training and the 4 course for the CCNP over the next 12 months. Stay, get the training and move on next year for potentially more money and an even better job. There's no rush and Cisco networking is your weaker skill set.

That said, don't bail on your current job simply for the money. Sure, I could probably go out and get a job making $100K... but would I enjoy everything that comes with the job, whether it be stress, or long hours, or a long commute, or heavy travel? Plus, what happens if you go to an employer that turns out to be horrible to work for? Until you've worked for a truly bad employer, you won't realize how good you've probably got it there.

Hope this helps. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. Darren Wright

Darren Wright Bit Poster

the commute will do your head in the end....I commute 45miles to work(90mile a day round trip)& it can take anything from 50mins to 90mins depending on traffic & if there has been a accident on the motorway, i have been doing this for 5 years & had enough of it now.
    Iam on £5000 a year more than you, then you have the petrol to pay for, parking & servicing of the car more per year....take this all into account before deciding to move jobs & commute.

12. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Hi guys,

A bit of an update - i had my annual performance review yesterday and as well as having my CISSP and CCNP courses approved (even though they are already booked!) the ICT Manager also said he'd like to send me on the internal management course that the organisation runs for staff who are supervisors. It leads to a professional management qualififcation.

So thats good news, cant complain! However even better was the fact that he told me that the IT Management team (IT Manager, Business Support Manager and Department Head) had all agreed that if a vacancy appeared in the IT Management team that they would expect me to be applying.

There are 3 people in the 3rd Line team - me, one other and a 3rd line supervisor.... so not only do they think i'm capable of doing my supervisors job (worth 30K) but they feel i'm able to do the IT Managers role (worth 35k - who is responsible for 7 members of staff which is the 2nd and 3rd line teams)

WOW....

It feels pretty good to be thought of that highly. :D I've decided to do the CISSP course, re-certify my CCNA and then do the CCNP before moving on.

However.... only this morning an agency has sent me the details of a role on 30k in the area i could easily do.

DILLEMA'S! Argh!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes: :blink

13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Bird in the hand...

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  14. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Stay where you are and get what you want in a shorter time (more money, management training and promotion) or leave for a new job for more money to start with but having to start all over again (in regards to position and promotion).

I know I'd be staying put.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  15. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Agreed, with that sort of potential I wouldnt be going anywhere :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  16. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Another vote for staying put... especially if they value you that highly. It is amazing how many companies don't realize that, to be successful, you have to hire and KEEP good people. It seems that your company understands that philosophy. I wouldn't be going anywhere.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  17. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

Amen to that.

Good employers understand the importance of investing in their staff. It's a shame that so many employers beat their staff down to the lowest possible denominator they can get away with - then scratch their heads over their 'staff turnover problem'.

You have time to nurture yourself and in a good place.

If I had your certs I'd be flipping 6 figures with 8 years of experience.

Stay put until you're good and ready - look around though.

Prince 2 is next for me :twisted:

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  18. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Probably best to stay put just now mate and get those extra certs you have your eye on. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  19. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Yeah i have been leaning towards the staying put route too. However staff turn over is very low where i am now and i cant stay waiting year after year for someone to leave.

I think what i will do is stay for the year and get the training and keep my ear to the ground about what jobs are out there.

With this other role i mentioned i may well may have an informal interview with them in the next few weeks to see what they have to offer.... no harm in that.

Although advertised for 30k they are flexible and i've told the agency lady that i would be aiming for 35k. If they were to come back and offer 35K i would have to seriously think about taking it as it would allow me to get my foot on the property ladder and get some money in the bank.

Time will tell!

Thanks guys for your input, its always good to know what other people would do if they were in my shoes! :biggrin

20. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Why don't you negotiate a pay rise while you wait for promotion ? If you have a good relationship with your boss as it sounds you do why not mention that you are tempted by the 30k position ? Maybe they will at least split the difference ? If pay rises have to be tied to promotion can they not 'create' a position for you ?

You are right in suspecting that sometimes these promotions take longer than expected !

In the longer run only you can make the decision as only you know how you feel and how your relationship is with your employer ?

If you want to make big money you will often have to be prepared to sacrifice all else, re-locating hence losing contact with frineds, working long hours, retraining etc. Only you can decide if this is what you want ?

Personally 26 sounds like a good age to up sticks to a big city but this will obviously have its drawbacks. Your training program sounds awesome ! Very few people in my experience get this level of training and support and ability to apply what they've learned. Will the money make up for the job satisfaction you may lose ? I would certainly consider staying one more year to get the remaining certs and consider home study for the rest if you leave.

Best of luck with your decision !