Decided to do the CCNP Routing Test

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by NetEyeBall, Feb 28, 2007.

1. NetEyeBall

NetEyeBall Kilobyte Poster

What can I expect as the most challenging area? Any pit falls? Any tips? Any quality exam sims or other study aids? I have all the books I need for it at least CiscoPress books...

My lab is basically 3 2620s and 3 2610s and 2 2500s. Do I need more equipment?

Certifications: CCNA, A+, N+, MCSE 4.0, CCA
    WIP: CCDA, CCNP, Cisco Firewall
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The stuff you don't know. 8) heh!!!

I recommend Cisco Press and Sybex.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

NetEyeBall,

The most challenging area and pit fall is that the Cisco 640-503 ROUTING and 640-603 ROUTING exams are not available to register. My tip would be to prepare for the 642-901 Building Scalable Cisco Internetworks (BSCI) exam. Since the BSCI exam is a 642- prefixed exam, it will recertify you in all Associate level certificates. Therefore, if you earn your CCDA before taking the BSCI, then your CCDA along with your CCNA would automatically be recertified if you pass the BSCI. Also, BSCI is a required exam for the Cisco Certified Design Professional (CCDP). Therefore, if you go the CCDA->BSCI route, you'd be working towards two Cisco Certs, the CCNP and the CCDP.

From my personal experience trying to pass the BSCI (back when my CCNA and CCDA were valid), I seriously made the mistake of getting the Cisco Press "Certification Library" for CCNP. Well, here's what happened:
    • 640-503 ROUTING became 640-603 ROUTING
    • 640-603 ROUTING became 640-900 Building Scalable Cisco Internetworks
    • 640-900 Building Scalable Cisco Internetworks became 640-901 Building Scalable Cisco Internetworks
    • 640-901 Building Scalable Cisco Internetworks became 642-801 BSCI
    • 642-801 BSCI became 642-901 BSCI
    Point being, just get study materials for a single exam at a time. The Cisco Networking Academy course for BSCI is usually an entire conventional semester long so keep that in mind.

I hope this helps.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  4. NetEyeBall

NetEyeBall Kilobyte Poster

Right..actually that is what I ment...

642-901 Building Scalable Cisco Internetworks (BSCI) is the exam I am going to work on.

Good points about the CCDA as well.

No worries on the Ciscopress books. I have access to all the ciscopress books through my company so that isn't even a concern anymore. That is the best boon I have received, by working this hell of a 3rd shift nightmare.

Certifications: CCNA, A+, N+, MCSE 4.0, CCA
    WIP: CCDA, CCNP, Cisco Firewall
  5. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Congrats on the decision and best of luck.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Good Luck! 8)