Decided my next exam: 70-686

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by Kitkatninja, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Well decided what my next exam will be, the 70-686: Windows 7, Enterprise Desktop Administrator.

While the MS Press book isn't out yet, I have found a list of resources to assist with studying for it (well I found it while I was preparing for the beta of the exam).

Hopefully looking to take this exam within the next month, I'm basing this on passing the 70-680, my experience with Windows 7 and already taking the 71-686 and only failing it by 23 points (my score: 677).

Then possibly studying for the exams to count towards the Virtualsation Admin qualification :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. Jonny70

Jonny70 Bit Poster

Good luck!! Keep us updated. When do you hope to sit the exam?

3. purana

purana Nibble Poster

I am not certain if I will do a 70-686 or 70-685, as I want to move onto 2008 Server Admin stuff. So trying to decide myself what to do next. Fairly certain I will go straight to 2008 Server admin exams/books.

Certifications: MCTS x 6, MCITP x3, ITILv3 Foundations, LPIC-1, LPIC-2, Novel CLA, CommVault Simpana 9
    WIP: MCITP: EA, RHCE, OEL, RHCVE
  4. aestudiar

aestudiar Byte Poster

Shouldn't be you doing the 70-680 first? And then one of the others, and get the MCITP?

5. purana

purana Nibble Poster

I've got my 70-680 exam on Monday. But not really interested in client MCITP's, although may upgrade a 2008 Server admin to Enterprise. Thus I have done some client stuff. In fact I've done both Vista Config and Windows 7 Config if I pass 680 in 2 days time.

Certifications: MCTS x 6, MCITP x3, ITILv3 Foundations, LPIC-1, LPIC-2, Novel CLA, CommVault Simpana 9
  6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Actually it's a good idea to do the 686 exam because there is a lot of crossover with other adminy type exams.

There is a lot of coverage on licensing, WDS, deployment etc and it was a worthwhile exam.

I am predominantely a system center consultant (SCCM\DPM etc) and I found the exam worth doing. because of the integration side of things with SCCM, what you have to remember is that it's not just servers that keep us in business, it's also a good understanding of the client side as well.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. purana

purana Nibble Poster

Totally agree with what is stated above. Each person is different too. Windows hasn't been a primary part of my job for probably about 7+ years. These days I am a unix person. This windows certification I am doing is purely on my own dime at the moment to fill out the CV (and show that while I haven't worked on this stuff, I am capable of working on it and even have some paper certs to prove it).

I have somewhat learned to doing the 686 exam to get the MCITP enterprise/win7 client stuff. So I think I might actually do it anyways.

First I need to pass 680. Then I can purchase some more books.

8. Kitkatninja

Well my revision is going slowly on this one... I'm trying to get this in before the end of the month (50% off and free sencond shot voucher), but I'm struggling to take things in at the moment...

Oh well, back to the books :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  9. Clastir

Clastir New Member

Hi Folks
    Are the 686 exams avialable yet? I was looking to get self paced study material from Amazon and the books are only available to pre order!
    My First ever look at certification so be gentle

10. Kitkatninja

Yes the 70-686 has been available for some time now. If this is your first cert, you may find it more useful to do the 70-680 (Win 7 Client) one first.

You do not get the MCITP: EDA7 credential by just passing the 70-686, you need both the 70-680 and the 70-686. Or there's always the MCITP: ESDT7 credential (70-680 and the 70-685).

-Ken

11. purana

purana Nibble Poster

I decided I will do my 686, soon as the book comes out. Going to pre-order it. Then make an attempt to do it last thing this year (or first thing next year). Depends on timing. Got a few things on the go. So it's a matter of adjusting the reading schedule.

I only got to do 640 and I have my MCITP SA 2008

12. Clastir

Clastir New Member

Thanks for the info guys. Ill batter through the 680 until the 686 material becomes available.

13. purana

purana Nibble Poster

Boy do things change. Back to some Client exams now MCITP SA is done.

14. purana

purana Nibble Poster

I have my 70-686 booked for Tuesday. If I pass, the next one will be 70-685 soon after. Here is hoping for a pass on Tuesday. Want to do Oracle Enterprise Linux exams in the new year to strengthen my Linux experience.

15. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Good luck on the exam, did you look up what things like SCCM and SCOM do? How about WDS and MDT?

If you're ok with all of the different MS technologies then you should be good for the exam :D

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  16. purana

purana Nibble Poster

Completed my 70-686 today. Had I not changed one of the 6 or so questions I marked for review. I wouldn't of got the perfect score I did. So I am glad I reviewed those questions and even changed the one I did, as it was incorrect.

Not going to bother with 70-685, going to move onto 1 of the 2 exams I need to complete my MCITP: VA certification. As I already have 70-652 completed as of Sept.

17. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  18. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Congratulations!

19. purana

purana Nibble Poster

Thanks folks. Now trying to get another done before end of December. Will not be doing 70-685.. don't see the point, going to complete my 3 exam set to obtain MCITP: VA. Have 70-652, going to do 70-669 and then the PRO exam to complete the set. Here is hoping :)

Need to write up a quick business case on why my work should send me on RHCE certification exam, seriously should be a no brainer if I am prepared to do my own revision and not waste funds on a course before hand. Some new verbal policy... Grr thorn in my side.

20. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Every time I see this thread pop up again, I keep thinking Ken has done this exam AGAIN! :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada