1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Debt Collectors

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Fergal1982, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I received a letter in the mail today for an outstanding debt of 17.98 on behalf of an ISP. i used this ISP well over a year ago, and once i moved into this new flat, i changed my details with the ISP, i later discovered that the freephone number for which i was paying a subscription didnt work at this address (i found this out after a month or so)

so i wrote them a letter of termination with immediate effectiveness. telling them i would not pay the months notice for a service i was lied to about.

i heard nothing about it until today. not even a letter of confirmation.

Any ideas where i stand with this?

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo Byte Poster

Hi Fergal,

>> I am not a lawyer but I do work with debt control people.

"I later discovered that the freephone number for which i was paying a subscription didnt work at this address (i found this out after a month or so)

so i wrote them a letter of termination with immediate effectiveness. telling them i would not pay the months notice for a service i was lied to about.

i heard nothing about it until today. not even a letter of confirmation."

>> Put this in writing to them - enclose a copy of the original letter if possible.

>> Given the small amount of the debt, they will probably write it off there & then. I assume they have now terminated your service. Don't worry, no legal action will be taken - the debt is way too small. They will send you a reminder & possibly a final demand; but will then write the debt off anyway.

Certifications: <<See Below>>
  3. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

I was gonna say, the chances of someone sending a debt collector for such a small amount are tiny. It would probably cost them at least 100 pounds to collect your 17. Not very cost effective lol

Don't sweat it mate, just follow Scooby's advice, I don't think you can go wrong with that!

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I'd tend to agree, Fergal - I can't see an ISP chasing you for such a small amount. Have you contacted them about this ?

If you still have a copy of the letter you sent, then you are in clear water my friend - as written confirmation of cancellation is all you need to prove you did what you said at the time. Even if you don't, then I believe (unconfirmed) that the onus will be on the ISP to prove that you actually used the service during this time.

btw - nice timing by the ISP... three days before Christmas ? Lovely !!!!

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity