Debian text login: 'You have new Mail'

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by Fergal1982, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Alright, so if I log into Debian via one of the text sessions, I get details of the last login (If anyone knows a way to show this during X login - without halting things with a messagebox let me know), but it also comes up saying 'You have new Mail'

What on earth does this mean? Where do I access this from? any ideas?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Usually you get messages from the system that are stored in /var/mail. Open a terminal session and type:

cd /var/mail

Then type ls -l to see a list of files in that directory. Note the name of the most recent file and type cat "filename" to read it.

Usually, the messages aren't of earth-shattering import, but it's nice to know they're there and that you get a notice everytime there are new ones.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

You are most likely using the account you created at install time. By default, that account gets all the mail the system sends to root. To access the mail just type "mail" and hit enter. To learn more about how mail works use "man mail" before using mail.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I have to warn here that 'mail' is not very friendly to new users! :biggrin

You may want to think about installing a slightly easier interface, such as mutt.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+