Debian Question: Ping ffreeloader

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by tripwire45, Sep 6, 2005.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I notice that via apt-get, the latest version of OpenOffice.org I can find is 1.1.3. I'd like to try out the latest beta on my Debian box so am downloading the tar.gz file. Any potential "gotchas" I should be aware of before I continue? Thanks.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I can't help you with this one. I haven't tried the beta on my Debian machine. I've only tried the 2.0 beta using Windows.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Dumb question. I use apt-get pretty much for everything I need to install on Debian. I extracted the tar.gz in a folder in my home directory. I assume the contents of the RPM folder (the other two are read me folders) contain the files that need to be installed. Uh...now what? :oops:

4. ffreeloader

Trip,

I think you're going to have some major problems trying to install the OO beta on Debian. There is a .deb package in experimental, as I just found out, but it's impossible to install because there are broken dependencies. That means a bunch of the files the OO beta depends on to run haven't been added to the apt reposititories. So, even if you tried installing it from the tar packages you'd have problems anyway.

It may be possible to compile from source, but probably only if you have java installed.

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Uh...maybe I'll wait. If it seems a tad difficult for a Debian guru like you, I'd probably crash and burn. :oops:

[​IMG]

6. ffreeloader

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Dang, Trip. Either you're being really sarcastic, or you're very easily impressed, 'cause I'm no Debian guru. Far from it.

7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

have you got any experimental repos in your sources.list?

you should be able to apt-get -t experimental install openoffice.org2
    or something

try an apt-cache search to see if its actually called openoffice.org2, it might no be, and the true version is 1.9.something at the mo anyway

I think the broken dependancy issue is repo dependant, ie not all repos are created equal, and there are

oh how i love portage :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. ffreeloader

No. That's not it. The openoffice.debian.net site says that the OpenOffice beta will not install on sarge. You have to be running sid to install it because none of the dependencies have been, or will be, migrated to Sarge.

I've mixed testing and stable before without too many problems, but when you start mixing sid and stable there are usually problems. There have been some major changes made for the etch release when compared with sarge and from what I've read and heard mixing the two this soon in the etch cycle can be very problematic. Most of the stuff I've read on the Debian mailing list says wait for at least six months before trying to mix sarge and testing or sarge and sid.

9. ffreeloader

One more thing.

Yesterday I tried to install the OO beta by adding experimental to my /etc/apt/sources.list. I wanted to see just what would happen and the install failed with at least 5 broken dependencies.

I wish I could remember off the top of my head what changed for etch, but all I can remember is that there was a shift away from one of the underlying foundations that woody and sarge were built on. This is why there are so many broken dependencies for this that can't be fixed in trying to install the OO beta on sarge.

If you want to upgrade your install to sid then the OO beta will work because that's the only place in Debian where the correct repositories are found.

10. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

is Sid the next experimental release of deb mate? havnt played with it too much since Sarge
    was just going by what others i have spoken to have experianced

11. ffreeloader

Sarge = stable
    Etch = testing
    Sid = unstable

experimental = experimental

Experimental is pretty much a developers-only branch of Debian. It's where any package first gets introduced to Debian.

Sid is always the unstable branch of Debian. It's one of those double meaning words. It's named after Sid from Toy Story, but it also stands for Still In Development.

12. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

ahh right cheers for that clarification freddy
    never knew that
    so Etch is the next versions codename?

13. ffreeloader