Debian Installation

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by zimbo, Mar 17, 2006.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

I thought i would just share my experience with the rest of CF -and alot of trips advice (hope he doesnt mind and thanks again trip!).

This isnt a easy distro to install and vmware doesnt support it officially but you can still install it. First of all you need vmware 5.5 otherwise you will run into all sorts of problems with mouse and GUI's not loading.

I found a good site for the total newbie (thats me!!) for installing debian: www.free-bees.co.uk/articles/installingsarge/

oh and make sure you choose Worksatation otherwise you will have a few more problems when no GUI loads! :twisted:

Cheers trip! :onthePC

EDIT: i forgot the proof! :p
    NB the link at the bottom! 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Congratulations. Way to go, my man! :biggrin Glad you got it go go. Now it's time to get to work. :wink:

http://www.linux-tutorial.info/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2150

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Thanks trip! Now thats a link you could have posted earlier... you starting to be a bad influence! all i can think of is debian... samba... open source.. IPCOP... and im trying to get my MCSA here! :twisted: LOL well its getting late here (4am) so im out of here for the night... need to get cracking on 290 again and play with debian later! BTW i was given a book called Linux Quick Fix Notebook from work.. looks like a gem cause its written for nymphos like me! anyone use it?

Next project i think i want to do if create a debian DHCP server to use for my MS domain... thats possible right or am i talking star wars? - i did it with IPCOP so i see why not with debian? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the link trip!

4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Now that the guinness is at a peak level i thought lets bump this just in case anyone is sober enough to help! 8)

5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Yep, it's possible! you don't even need to have any type of authentication between the two. It just works........... At least mine does with Fedora.

After that you'll be wanting Samba Authentication so that you can share files, etc. Once you can get MS and Linux talking together you are well on your way!

6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

thanks simon.. howz the head? :dry

7. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

A lot clearer than it was at this time yesterday! And that's after 9 pints of Guinness! Lol! :biggrin

8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

ah good now that freddys here.. howz it going man? i installed debian as you can see - through a combination of the 1st cd and d/l another 45 packages to form a desktop (workstation) with a GUI (thanks to trip for pointing out my new linux term for an interface!) i was wondering is it possible to install the workstation with the 14 cds i have and avoid d/l packages or do you have to d/l them?

EDIT:

APT Configuration, when it checks my cd-rom, i only insert the first cd, should i insert all of them thus it uses the cd's to install what i need?

9. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Congrats Zimbo. It's quite a feeling of accomplishment to get Debian up and running that first time. I know I get far more satisfaction out of working with it than I ever have out of Windows.

I agree with Simon on the Samba bit. It's really fun to get M$ and Linux talking successfully. Integrating it into an AD domain is even better. You get transparent file sharing for Windows clients based on AD permissions. It's really cool.

CUPS is really cool too. You can share printers with M$ clients with ease, even without Samba. It's very easy to administer and the configuration files for it are pretty self-explanatory.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  10. ffreeloader

Zimbo,

You can have the installer scan all your cd's if you want to, but to tell the truth I've never installed from more than one cd. To tell the truth I've never even done a Sarge install from anything other than a netinstall cd. It installs just a base install--just enough to make it possible to install what you want on your system. That way I have a completely up-to-date system from the very first. In a way I think it's faster than installing from cd's, at least if you have a fast broadband connection.

At work I can download at approximately 1mB per second so it only takes about 20 minutes total to do a default desktop install as the machines there are pretty fast. (It's nice to work with something other than 4-7 year old hardware like I have at home :biggrin )

On my server installs I do pretty much a manual install. I install just one gui--Gnome--and then when the server is ready to go I just rename the script in /etc/init.d that starts the gui so the gui won't start at boot. That way the gui is available if I have a task that is much easier to do from a gui, but it doesn't run by default and eat resources. I don't think I'd do this on a production machine but it's great on development or lab machines, especially the old machines I have.

Now, installing manually is a pain, at first, but it teaches you a lot when do them. Don't stick to the easy ways of doing things in Debian if you really want to learn it well. It will be a really steep learning curve, but the knowledge is priceless, and the satisfaction you get when you do things the hard way is great.

11. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Thanks freddy! :biggrin

12. ffreeloader

I'd like to clear up something that probably sounds pretty ambiguous or maybe even contradictory in the two paragraphs above.

During installs, or troubleshooting, a person sometimes has to do a lot of reading, and editing, of configuration files. I find this much easier from a gui. I still do all my work from the bash prompt but reading and editing files just comes easier in a gui. It allows you to copy and paste if you need to, and also to open a browser and do research if you need to.

That was what I meant. I didn't mean the using of wizards as they just don't have the same flexibility and power the traditional *nix utilities have.