Deathmatch: BlackBerry versus iPhone

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by craigie, May 26, 2009.

1. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

InfoWorld - Look at any major analyst firm report since the Apple iPhone was released, and you'll see the earnest intoning to stick with the buttoned-down and pinstriped BlackBerry -- widely admired in executive corridors for its safety and security -- and beware that odd, colorful, possibly dangerous Apple device that consumers may love but professionals should avoid. If the iPhone were meant for work, it wouldn't be so much fun to use, would it?

Yes, it was Mac versus PC all over again: The iPhone was quickly pigeonholed as a fun, polished device for the cool kids to play with versus the RIM BlackBerry's rep as a corporate standard designed to get work done. As with the Mac-versus-PC dichotomy, Apple's focus on visual interface, exotic technologies like touch, and fun stuff (music, video, and games), coupled with its lack of "serious" capabilities such as encryption, let that perception take root as the conventional wisdom.

Read more here

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I think the blackberry will win, iphone sucks.:D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Well I think that the iPhone will win because the blackberry sucks :D

In all seriousness I think the iPhone is one of the best handsets out there, but not for corporate use. The phone lacks some of the security features, of the BB, the battery life is crap and the email is not as accomplished.

The other large problem I think it has is one of image, the iPhone is not yet perceived as a work phone but more of a MP3 player that does phone calls, especially by the accounting departments...

Its a shame as I think it is a great phone, but it has a long way to go before corporations accept it like the Blackberry.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Crackberry for me all the way:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

yep

problem with the iphone for me is it's one of those things that is seen as beinng for the kids and not for the use of businessman.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Touchscreens just don't do it for me

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

To be honest, I don't really care who wins. I do like the iPhone, recently we installed wall mounted active speakers for a dept (approx 10 sets) and the iPhone spirit level app helped as well as the iPod function to test them.

But then again, each to their own. You have to choose the best tool of the job.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

The iPhone is an all around device that plays various media and has phone functionality. Great for lots of people including anyone who doesn’t need a corporate email device on their hip.

The Blackberry is a great professional device with corporate email and calendar capabilities.

For me the Blackberry wins; but most of my (non-IT or business) friends choose the iPhone hand down. :thumbleft

9. NWDaddy

NWDaddy Bit Poster

It has to be Blackberry all the way ... I really couldn't survive without one.

On a related matter I just purchased a nice new shiny Bold 9000 this weekend and it's easily the best Blackberry yet.

Certifications: A handful of MCP exams
  10. madman045

madman045 Kilobyte Poster

Iphone is a good phone, but isnt for a working environment (handset security is a big one) and a Blackberry is only great with BES (ok with BIS, but still doesnt offer the full functionality)

If I had to choose, it would be a Blackberry Bold as the Storm is trying to be an Iphone, but just isnt

my 2p

Andy

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, PRINCE2 Foundation, VCA-DCV & VCA-DT
    WIP: MCSA 2008, VCP5-DCV, ITIL V3
  11. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

They both have their places as have been mentioned above, but my personal preference would be the blackberry bold:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  12. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

iPhones > Blackberry as an overall.

If you need it for work then your probably better off with a blackberry. But that will change i'm sure as apple updates software/handsets.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  13. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Want to impress your friends? Get an IPhone

Want to do any work? Get a Blackberry

Simples.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  14. danielno8

hmmm, i sense your not a fan of the iphone. It is much more than a tool to impress friends, in fact that simply doesn't work for me as they all have one already :p

As for working on a blackberry, i do nothing more than organize diary and email from it, can't imagine actually working on files on it.

As for the iphone, well it has an RDP app, therfore i can remote into servers and actually do work :)

15. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

It has an RDP app:blink How did I miss that one?

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  16. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

As a side note the BB can have VNC and RDP to

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  17. danielno8

Yeah, i use Mocha Remote Desktop.

mochasoft.dk/iphone_rdp.htm

Theres a lite version and a paid version. works well. I got it a while ago and haven't looked since, so there may be others. But that one works well, managed to reset a password in AD from the pub (somewhat boozy i might add, which is a testament to its ease of use haha) with only a GPRS connection lol

18. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Agreed. Although now I can't get that damn TV advert out of my head...

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  19. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I think both will win because I suck ... :hhhmmm

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  20. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I hate both.

Blackberrys are too often seen sported by yuppie tossers on the golf course where they seem to have become the latest dick extension.

The iPhone is very pretty but I just hate that ad.
    'Trying to put up a shelf? We've got an app for that...'
    Sorry, if you're the sort of person that thinks that a £300 phone is the ideal tool for putting up a shelf when compared to, ooh, let's say a spirit level, then you are a danger to mankind and shouldn't be allowed to do anything as complicated as putting up a shelf.

In fact, I hate mobile phones in general.
    When I'm out, I'm out.
    I don't want my wife to phone when I'm driving to work to ask what I want for tea and I don't want a supplier phoning for a chat while I'm trying to have a wee.
    My hands are full.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD