1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deadline 31 Aug

Discussion in 'A+' started by Nurein, Aug 20, 2010.

  1. Nurein

    Nurein New Member

    2
    0
    1
    quick question,

    ive only got 601 at the moment, and wont be able to do 602 by the end of this month.

    so what will happen.

    will i need to do both exams again under the new 2009 syllabus?

    or

    will a be exempt from one of the exams?
     
  2. Nick74

    Nick74 Bit Poster

    35
    1
    8
    You will need to do both Im afraid.
     
    Certifications: C&G, A+
  3. Fergal1982

    Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

    4,196
    171
    211
    How soon after the deadline are you intending to take the next exam?
     
    Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. BosonMichael
    Highly Decorated Member Award

    BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

    19,136
    462
    374
    This. You can't mix and match exams... you need to pass 601 and 602, or you need to pass 701 and 702.
     
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Fergal1982

    Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

    4,196
    171
    211
    However, if the OP intended to take the exam a few days after the deadline, it might be possible to appeal to CompTIA for leave to extend the deadline set for them.

    Of course, that really depends on a good few factors, such as whether the test centres will still have the exam after that deadline. But depending on the circumstances and the timescale involved.... if nothing else its worth asking CompTIA - you only lose the 5 minutes to write the ticket. Worst they can say is no.
     
    Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  6. BosonMichael
    Highly Decorated Member Award

    BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

    19,136
    462
    374
    I doubt they'll grant an extension. After all, there's been more than a year of prior notice. It's been dead in the US for months.

    Sure, he can certainly ask, but every day spent waiting on a response from CompTIA is another day he will lose in registering for the exam... while the testing centers fill up to capacity as the deadline approaches. If I were him, I'd move heaven and earth to find a way to take that exam, even if it means a long drive to a remote testing center. That's a lot of money to waste.
     
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Fergal1982

    Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

    4,196
    171
    211
    of course, fully agree. I was just working on the assumption that missing the deadline was an immutable fact. in that case its worth the chance slim as it may be.

    Of course, theres no reason why you could do both. Ask the question now, then spend the waiting time trying as hard as possible to finesse a test before the deadline.
     
    Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  8. Nurein

    Nurein New Member

    2
    0
    1
    i dont wanna waste money as i know im not ready for it...
    bcoz of work and other commitments its almost impossible for me to be able to do the exam within 11days.

    i guess im ganna have to do 701 and 702! :(

    hope i dont need to study from scratch again!!

    Thanks for the advise guys
     
  9. Nick74

    Nick74 Bit Poster

    35
    1
    8
    Mind me asking how long ago you did the 601?
    You are probably more prepared than you think.

    I must admit I saw them both as one exam, as there is so much crossover, its not like you study from different books. If you have recently completed 601 I doubt you are far away from being ready. Have you tried some practice exams for it?

    IMO - and you may see this totally differently, if you do the 701 and 702 after next month you are definitely going to incur 2 x exam fees. If you have a crack at 602 in a week or two then you may be able to save yourself one fee. Downside of course is you may incur an extra one....

    I had your dilemma recently but didnt know whether to just take the 701 and 2 to save potentially wasting money having only one paper at the end of august, I decided to just go for what I had been reading rather than have to buy new versions of Meyers book, Exam Crams, practice tests etc - If you weight these costs up against the exam fee for 602 there may not be much in it?

    Best of luck whichever way you go.
     
    Certifications: C&G, A+
  10. chuckles

    chuckles Kilobyte Poster

    371
    6
    49
    Actually I think most people just prepare for the two at the same time because there is so much over lap. Are you sure you won't be ready for the second? If you have to go for the 700's you should already have a good basis because of you 601 preparation. I'd guess that at least 75% of the material hasn't changed.
     
    Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple
  11. Killian

    Killian Byte Poster

    197
    7
    32
    I sat my A+ a few months back and studied for both exams from the same book (Meyers AIO). Sat 701 and 702 a week or so apart. If you've learnt the material a similar way you'll find you should be good enough prepared.
     
    Certifications: See sig.
    WIP: Everything!

Share This Page

Loading...