Problem Dead PS2 port, usb kb not rec - how to install Xp ???

Discussion in 'Software' started by UKDarkstar, Aug 30, 2010.

1. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

I found this very handy trick, intall windows on an alternate system that has a working keyboard ect any system will do. Once installed go to device manager and change the ide ata driver to standard dual channel pci ide controller. Then take the drive out and put it in your machine with the broken keyboard port and it will boot to windows which will allow your usb keyboard to work. Then just update any drivers as needed. I have done this it does work this web site has step by step instuctions you only need follow 1 through 9.

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2008/07/09/move-windows-xp-hard-drive-or-change-motherboard-without-getting-blue-screen-of-death/

Certifications: ECDL,A+,N+,CCENT,CCNA,MCP,MCDST
  2. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

If you have a similar machine, and swap the hdd into it as we mentioned earlier then sysprep. Patch it all first so it is fully up to date.

Incase any drivers are different, just build the image from a dvd injected with driverpacks.net and you should be covered for just about any driver under the sun when it reboots and starts the mini set up wizard.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Mate, seriously, KB doesnt work and USB is fubbared.

Whats the point in investing any time in it?

Advise them to buy a new PC otherwise you will get constant calls about, it never did this before you rebuilt it/

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Come on Craigie, it's a challenge. And, in any case the KB does work, as does USB but only if windows is running, which is perfectly normal.

I think the stickler here is that you won't get passed the press any key to boot from CD prompt even with a Sysprep and answer file.

So, the only way i see is to pull the HDD out and install windows on another system.

Maybe a BIOS upgrade via windows after it is working might enable USB support outside Windows.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

This may be worth a shout, cheaper than a new pc, have you tried a different USB keyboard?

Also if your going to flash the bios, would be better to do it before new install.

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals