dead or what

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zxspectrum, Aug 1, 2007.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Ive just been playing with a desktop pc and im having trouble with it. The pc had no HD so i tried to put one in and set it to master with the dvd writer as slave etc, the processor is a 2.7 intel celeron and it also has a gig of ram.

Even though im sure ive got my settings correct the pc will not show me anything on the monitior. The monitor either says no signal or the orange light is on and the whole screen is blank. Now i know the monitors works as it is what im using to see what im typing here.

So im thinking it can be one of 2 things, the whole motherboard, even though it does power up and the hd and rewriter works to an extent. Or that the jacck where the monitor plugs in is completely goosed

I was thinking of putting a HD in from blank as the one ive been working with has got an OS on it already.

Also im getting no beeping noises at all. Is there anything else i can try

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

"No beeping" is not good... a working mobo will usually give you one beep.

Got a spare video card you can use to test?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Have you checked that everything is seated properly? Is there an internal speaker in there, as that could be causing you not to get a beep. Have you tried resetting the CMOS from the mobo jumpers, ive had a few systems in the past that have been cured by doing this.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

You could pick up a post probe somewhere and test it, see what the output stops at. No idea how much they cost. I was ripped off buying mine with my 'course' for A+ (Hint: It wasnt a course, it was 4 sh*tty books and no coursework).

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Just a quickie - you haven't mentioned whether the graphics are onboard or PCI/AGP?

Silly thing... but if you've got a separate card, make sure you're plugging the monitor into the right port!

I know you've prolly covered it but, ya know, simple things first :rolleyes: :biggrin

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  6. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Hi folks cheers for your input on this

Arrroyn: Just a quickie - you haven't mentioned whether the graphics are onboard or PCI/AGP?

there is no card so im presuming its an onboard one.

Fergal1982:You could pick up a post probe somewhere and test it, see what the output stops at. No idea how much they cost. I was ripped off buying mine with my 'course' for A+ (Hint: It wasnt a course, it was 4 sh*tty books and no coursework).

What sort of a probe should i look for im not too hot on this .

Raffaz: Have you checked that everything is seated properly? Is there an internal speaker in there, as that could be causing you not to get a beep. Have you tried resetting the CMOS from the mobo jumpers, ive had a few systems in the past that have been cured by doing this.

I have check the seating and everything seems fine, but i cant see an internal speaker so i think thats why im not getting any beep. Could you elaborate on the cmos jumpers for me as ive never done this trick and i reckon it may be worth a shot.

BosonMichael: Got a spare video card you can use to test?

I havent i thought i may have one on this com but that is onboard as well.

Also would the fact the HD im trying to put in already has an OS on it which has been formatted on this computer. Which if thats true would i need to set it up on here as slave then erase /format ???

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  7. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I would firstly go and spend 30 quid and buy a graphics card. My 'test' card is a 32MB graphics card. Can it run games? hell no. can it boot to windows and open emails? yep. And when im testing i dont need to do much more. cost me 30 quid at the time, so you should be able to pick one up for cheaper these days.

Secondly, a Post Probe is a device that plugs into the PCI slot (or ICA, etc - most probes have several connections) that displays the post codes that the MOBO produces during bootup. If your mobo is stalling on a particular stage, it will display the post code for that stage, which you can then use to look up the manufacturer post codes listings to see what it refers to. I tried to google for a link, but the first choices where mainly from where i got mine....

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  8. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

The CMOS jumper is normally somewhere near the mobo battery. There are normally 3 pins with the jumper on 2 of the pins, you just move the jumper to the other position and leave it for 10 seconds or so. Then replace it back. Unplug the PC when you do this.

The OS thats already on the drive shouldnt cause a problem, you can still format that from your XP CD and do a fresh install if you want to mate.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house