DCpromo lof files

Discussion in 'Active Directory Exams' started by philbenson, May 30, 2008.

1. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

I'm looking through the MS Training Kit for the 294 exam and on page 2-48 it mentions about the dcpromo log files which are created in the %systemroot%/debug folder whenever AD is installed or removed.

dcpromo.log
    dcpromos.log
    dcpromoui.log

ow having looked in the debug folder of two of my DCs created in vmware, I can only find two; dcpromo and dcpromoui. Reference to the MS Technet website mentions dcpromos.log as being created whenever a windows 3.x or windows 4 domain controller is promoted to be a Windows 2000 domain controller.

Does this mean then that Windows Server 2003 no longer creates a dcpromos.log file and therefore the book is incorrect, or is dcpromos.log only created when AD is removed?

Certifications: MCP, MCP+I, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS
    WIP: CCNA(?)
  2. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

According to M$ Technet:

DCPromos.log
    The %windir%\debug\dcpromos.log is created by the user interface during the graphical user interface mode setup when a Windows 3. x –based or Windows 4.0–based domain controller is promoted to a Windows 2000 domain controller.

So unless you are promoting a Win 3x or 4x based DC to Win2K, that file will not be created. I just looked on my server (an actual Dell server, not a virtual machine) and there is no dcpromos.log file. I have the other two though.

Well it wouldn't be the first time a M$ book has been incorrect. What you have to remember is there's the "M$ way" and the real world way. All the tests and books are written in the M$ way of thinking.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  3. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

The actual text is:
    I think you should read this as a general remark: the installation wizard creates logfiles. the ones you may find in the named dir are...
    The first line is the one putting you on the wrong way : windows 2003 creates logfiles.
    The fact is, windows 2003 does NOT create the dcpromos.log file because win 2003 does not use the nt4 to 2000 update. I think it is an error in the book or they forgot to remove that line when they updated the 2000 book to 2003.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  4. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

Cheers guys. I've just installed a fresh Windows Server 2008 box and upgraded it to a DC and no dcpromos.log file there either.

Conclusive I think.

Certifications: MCP, MCP+I, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS
    WIP: CCNA(?)