Dcpromo first or DNS first

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by phily, Jun 17, 2009.

1. phily

phily Bit Poster

Hello everyone.
    I am working to setup my VPC, I installed Windows Sever 2003 and Windows XP professional. To setup the Domain controller do I need to run Dcpromo first or should I configure the DNS sever first then configure the domain controller.The reason I am asking this if anything goes wrong with the configuration then I am stuck. For the IP address for the domain controller should I assign static IP address or leave it dynamic address. My host machine is Windows Vista. Any feed back is appreciated, thanks in advance.

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I would strongly recommend creating your DNS server first, as AD relies on DNS. And as for auto or static IP for your DC, I would say static.

Why would you be stuck, if anything goes wrong? If you're working with virtual machines, take a backup first before you do anything and then you can always revert back to the "saved" Virtual server if things go wrong.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Just out of interest wagnerk what the difference between setting up dns first or dcpromo first, if dc promo doesnt find a dns server then it will install the dns service for you. Phily make sure you allocate the static IP first and point the dns entry to itself 127.0.0.1

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

As far as I'm aware, there isn't a 'right' or 'wrong' answer to this. It depends on your preference, skill level and current network setup. Since most places that are installing Active Directory for the first time are either living in the stone age and just have flat level name resolution (NetBIOS based) or are putting a network in for the first time, it makes sense to let the wizard take care of setting up DNS for you when you run DCPromo. If you've already got a DNS infrastructure in place, use that - otherwise, if you;re just starting out, I'd let DCPromo take care of it.

personally, I always like to set DNS up first - but then again I'm a sad sack.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. gurusapprentice

gurusapprentice Nibble Poster

Well the previous posts have pretty much answered your questions but I would always assign your DC with static ip and all my other servers with static ip as for the dns side of it again it depends what your trying to achieve i.e if you want the one sever fits all htne fire it up run dc promo which as it says promotes to a dc incorporating all the bits you want alternatively you could have a dc then create a sepaperate dns server etc.

Certifications: MCSA+Messaging
    WIP: Degree CCNA/CCNP 70-622 MCITP:E e
  6. phily

phily Bit Poster

Thanks everyone for the replies, I really appreciate it. I'll go ahead and setup my DNS first and take it from there. If I run into any issue I'll come back for assistance. Thanks to all.

7. phily

phily Bit Poster

Well the easy part which is the most stupid question I should ask, how can I configure the IP address for the server. Now it is assigned dynamic address from the 192.168 range which is the same range as my host machine.Do i need to configure the adapter for the server to use anothe adapter like local or should i configure the loopback adapter. If someone can guide me slowly I would appreciate.

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Phily.. really, you are an MCSE on 2000 and 2003, according to your other posts.. you should know this off by heart :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Agreed - I hadn't noticed this earlier. In addition, if you're an MCSE, what in the name of all that is holy are you studying for the MCDST for? That's like taking GCSE maths when you have a Maths degree!

You cannot possibly be a legitimate MCSE if you don't know how to set up a server with a static IP address. In fact, you can't do anything other than reset passwords.

10. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt, I reckon he has is working towards MCSE and currently has the MCDST.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  11. phily

phily Bit Poster

Guys if you read my first post in this forum it tell you exactly how did this happened. I have a Bachelor Degree in Information System in 2006. I agree with all of you whatever you say, it is just paper it didn't worth anything because I never thought it will hurt more than it benefit me. Since I earned all the MCSE since NT4.0 I never worked in the field I was working somewhere is else making twice than someone has the real experience in this field. Then I decided to go back and start from the begining and I am working tworads my first real MCDST now, and the reason I want to setup the lab because it is been long time since I worked in this field. I work as a help desk making less than anyone work for mom and dad shop. Again earning that MCSE did hurt me more than I though, but I earned. I did the certification while I was in college and at that time I did the NT4.0 and the 2000 which was easy for me because I was taking classes at that time, then for the 2003 I only did the 292&296 when they first came. I hope this will clear your doubt, and again read my first post when I joined this forum.

12. phily

phily Bit Poster

And working as a help desk now we only reset users password, but I don't regret it.

13. phily

phily Bit Poster

And just adding one thing here, working in the IT field it doesn't require a high degree. This is the mistake I made when I went to college, again I don't regret to have a Bachelor in Information Technology and couple of MCSE but it doesn't worth even working now as help desk password resetter.

14. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

So, basically, just to summarise, you cheated your way to an MCSE back in the day?

15. phily

phily Bit Poster

You called cheating I called went wrong direction, I though having a college degree and couple of certificates will help me, but it didn't. If you talking about earning this through braindumps or other you wrong. When I joined this fourm the first thing I said no braindumps. When I did the first two MCSE's in NT and 2000 it was easy reading the books and going through most of the video tutorials which helped me a lot and at the same time I was taking the actual college courses. Overall it sounds really strange the way I did it, but the gap I had in college going back and forth over almost 9 YEARS created this issue for me. Now I work as a help desk with only one certificate CHDP, in my Outlook signature that's the only one I got, i am starting from scratch and this is the way i am going.

16. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Nonsense. Even a braindumper would know how to set the properties of a network connection for God's sake. You're telling me you 'went through the books and the video tutorials' - but none of these covered how to set the properties of a network connection? I call B/S - and you can't tell me you knew but 'forgot' how to do it - my MUM knows how to do this after I showed her ONCE about four years ago. And we ain't talking Dilbert's mum here either - woman barely knows how to cook a toaster pastry without setting the kitchen on fire.

17. phily

phily Bit Poster

You sound like I owe you something, but I owe you nothing. I asked question in this forum and you jumped into a different way. I don't care how you phrase it, I don't need your help and let your mom cook for you without setting your kitchen in fire. Do I have to explain my life to you, hell no!!who you are I don't care. Go to hell,

18. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Annnnd... Relax.

19. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Chill mate 8)

I must admit that I do find it unusual that someone with MCSE certification does not know how to set a static IP. :eek:

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  20. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yeah, me too :hhhmmm

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)