Day Three Report - Technical Analyst

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by craigie, May 21, 2008.

1. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Day number three is classed as 'live day'.

This is where the training had pretty much finished in relation to the internal software and how the company works and you are ready to field calls.

I have been situated next to a Senior Technical Analyst who is there to be my Wonder Bra (support :tongue).

The main bulk of the calls that I recieved today where:

1. Account Locked (new password but had typed User Name incorrect etc.)
    2. Forgotten Password (password reset)
    3. Rules In Outlook For Moving Mail e.g. when I recieve an email from this person/group can a copy be placed into this folder.
    4. I cannot see certain folders in Outlook after I have had my account profile reset (open up there personal folders to bring them back).
    5. Not able to see certain icons on Desktop (hit F5 to refresh screen).
    6. I want to save a Word Document Template.
    7. I cannot view this page on the Intranet (escalation to Intranet Team as affected multi Users).

Nothing to challenging, but I have to say how I'm seriously impressed with how laid back everyone is.

If your not on the phone you can be reading a MS book (which is what I'm currently doing), playing a game of solitairee or surfing the web. Soon as the phone rings thats it your game face is on!

Hope this helps and if anyone has any questions, about my experience so far, I'm happy to share.

Craig

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Good stuff! These are exactly the kind of issues that most internal help desk users will face. :)

Thanks for providing some great insight for people wanting to break into IT!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Sounds good mate :)

And like BM said thats good what you have put as it shows people what to expect in their first role as on a helpdesk :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

I learnt a lot from being in first line support. Some of the day to day stuff you get the hang of really quickly, but every now and then a real challenging problem will come your way. All good learning! Sounds like you have hit the ground running, well done. :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Like BM said, sounds like a typical day on Help desk. I used to get 180 calls a day and the majority of them where reseting the password. Becuase they had forgotten it, or had left caps lock on and after 3 attempts had locked the account!:rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks for sharing it with us on CF. As I said on your previous thread it's helpful and gives an insight to what people can expect in that type of job role

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  6. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Like it's been said, sounds typical to a Help Desk role, but with a very relaxed environment. Some places allow nothing but work material on the screen and otherwise. Another words, no surfing (other than the Intranet); and no reading (other than company materials or materials directly related to the job).